Author   Comment  
cgseymour

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,
Just finished a couple toys and am going to use Cynthia's beeswax finish.
My question is do folks then seal the toy with a clear sealer (shellac, acrylic ,etc) or just the finish is enough?

Thank you

Chris

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi cgseymour,

We at ToymakingPlans.com like to use the Make Your Own Non-Toxic Beeswax Paste on unpainted wood that's been sanded. It gives the wood a soft, warm natural finish. I know many of our customers have had good luck applying the paste mixture over painted wood and I'll assume they'll share their success stories here too, but we haven't tried that method.

We don't recommend sealing the Beeswax Paste after it's been applied since your clear sealer will bubble and separate and not dry properly. The oil in the paste wax will react to the sealer (any clear finish/sealer) much the same way water reacts when added to oil.
cgseymour

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Cynthia
One other quick question. I made a batch then had it in garage where it got warm.
The paste became soft so I put back in freezer.
I just was wondering if this would "hurt" the finish?

Thank you

Chris

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Chris,

It doesn't hurt a thing to store your paste wax in your garage or freezer or cool it or warm it. We like  applying the paste wax at the soft consistency (similar to Vaseline or petroleum jelly) it has when stored at room temperature. It's all personal preference. How you store the paste wax doesn't contribute to the aging of the paste wax. That being said, it does seem to apply best when it's soft and just slightly warm. 
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
cgseymour (Chris) - Great question and it all boils down to personal preference, materials used and whether the project is painted or not. Personally speaking, my general method is to paint the project with multiple coats of craft paint, then apply a couple of coats of a craft gloss varnish. The craft paints I use have a matte level of finish and applying the craft varnish makes the colours pop. Then I apply the magic bee's wax paste for that Fisher Price finish/feel, where your fingers just glide over the entire piece which also can be washed when it gets sticky or dirty and re-apply the bee's wax paste again. Cynthia's video demonstrates the application and results expertly.
Each toymaker has his/her own preference as seen in many of the photos in the Toymaker Photos and Success Stories section.
Here are just two links where 'blackwolf' has made a semi-truck and posted his results of with and without the application of the bee's wax paste. 'Really wood Semi' and 'Cynthia's paste wax Pros/cons'.
When you click on the photo it will expand to a larger photo size for a more in depth look.
There are other wonderful examples of things like the Noah's Ark posted by many members, who have made their projects using various exotic woods, some varnished and others only the bee's wax paste has been applied. Each method demonstrates great looking results.
The bee's wax paste is the final coat. Nothing should be applied to your project afterwards as Cynthia has pointed out in her reply post.
Here's a helpful hint - do a test on some scrap pieces of the same wood that you used.
Examine your results and select which one appeals to you more.
Looking forward to seeing your posted photos of your project which will help other members select the finish method they are contemplating on using.
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
Ladies - on the lighter side.
I store my magic elixir in the fridge, in a labeled plastic container.
I have experienced some, lets call it, evaporation or disappearance of contents.
Not from being in the fridge but because my wife keeps opening the container and has been using it as hand cream. She loves it, the feel and smell. [love]
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #7 
Chris

I like to use Cynthia's Beeswax past on every project I do.  It is the final thing I put on every toy I make if it is plane wood, Poly coated wood, or painted wood.

If one of my toys sits around for a while before I sell it, I put another coat on it before it ships out.

Not long ago my wife said one of our Martin Motors cars look a little rough around the edges, so I put the beeswax past on it just to freshen it up and took it to dinner with us.  We did not even get our dinner before a lady asked if we made the vehicle and are they for sale.  She bought it right then and there. I almost felt lonely because I did not have another toy to put on the table.

The beeswax did the trick and the toy paid for dinner.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.