Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter has a 4 month old son and she has asked me to build a rocking horse. I salvaged the rocker section of her old rocking horse. The problem is: the rockers are only 32". The plans call for rockers of 33-5/8". Will my 32" rockers work?

Thanks all, Don
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Yes these rockers should work. Please post photos of your build!
Kbocker

Reply with quote  #3 
I am new to the toymaking and purchased the Heirloom rocking horse plan. Was curious about part # 1 and part #4 the main body. On the prints it says to fit patterns onto standard 11.5 wide standard cut into 2 seperate pieces. Did you glue these two pieces back together or dowel and glue? I bought quality 1x12 for these parts. Thank you for your time. Jeff

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Kbocker,

You ask a very  important question. Part 1 and Part 4 are both made in two pieces from the 1 x 12's. The line that separates the two Part 1 pieces are at a different angle than the part 4 pieces. Because of this feature you can glue and clamp the Part 1 pieces to one set of the Part 4 pieces and it will be strong as one piece because of the overlap. I add some glue to the edges where the two Part 1 pieces come together for added strength but this is not absolutely necessary.

The front legs also overlap the joint where the two Part 1 pieces come together. We have found that this provides adequate strength to the asssembly. If you feel that you need a stronger joint you can add 1/2" diameter pins through the front legs and body.

I hope this explanation is understandable. We look forward to seeing some how-to's and finished photos of the project on the forum! Please feel free to start a new topic about your Heirloom Rocking Horse project.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.