Author   Comment  
Trav

Reply with quote  #1 
So, I was wondering if anyone has tackled this particular plan. To look at it's probably one of my favourite plans in the shop but have not picked it up because I'm not convinced I can make some of the cuts.

In particular, I'm looking at the thinner cutouts like the windows, sun roofs, trunks, front grills, etc. I suspect its pretty hard to cut out the front grill for example, and then cut out a matching grill from another piece of wood and get them to fit just right.
Also, I suppose cutting the main profile out of such a thick piece of hardwood is pretty slow going on the scroll saw, huh?

Anyway, this plan is high on my wishlist but I'd be interested in hearing about others experiences and seeing some pictures if there are any out there.
daraldf

Reply with quote  #2 
These are pics of the first one I made. I've been busy working on other projects. I think the truck will be next. I used a regular pine 2x4 to make this. I stained the cutouts before I glued it back. I'm planning on experimenting with some furniture buttons for the headlights for my truck. 20180128_204610.jpg  20180128_204617.jpg 
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Darakdf this is a beautiful toy. You should start your own post so everyone will see your work! We have unlimited storage so pist as many and as big a file as you like. Thanks for sharing!
Trav

Reply with quote  #4 
I agree, great job. So, did you cut the central part on a scroll saw? Or a bandsaw? Any plans to try one in hardwood? I guess my concern is that if I made one out of maple or oak (two species I prefer) I wonder how the scroll saw would perform. I suppose I'll just have to get a thick piece and try it out 😉

daraldf

Reply with quote  #5 
It was all done with a scroll saw. I don't own a bandsaw yet. I don't do much with hardwoods. It's cheaper to experiment with pine. 😊
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Cutting 1.5 inch thick hardwood on a scroll saw is really hard work. 
I struggle with hardwood over 3/4 inch.
Slow and steady is the key, with a new sharp blade. 

I tend to only use softwoods, Pine or Douglas fir etc. But I still get wonky cuts, particularly on tight curves.

Cheers
Rod T

Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Also, just to add to my previous reply.

Use a thick blade. It will cut a wider curf, but will not bend as much while cutting. 

Cheers
Rod T

Willem

Reply with quote  #8 

First, daraldf, forgive me for using your picture. Trav, I also struggle when I must cut out pieces like that and fit other pieces in their places. What I am doing is the following: Instead of cut-out the pieces I put tape around the pieces I am supposed to cut out and then stain it with the dark colour. I first do the dark colours before I do the clear colour. Hope it makes sense.
Trav.jpg 

daraldf

Reply with quote  #9 
I'm sorry that I didn't explain how I processed the colored pieces. The body of the car is all one piece of 2x4. I cut out the car shape and then round-over the outside edges with my Dremel baby router table and 1/8 inch round-over bit. Then I go back and cut out the colored inserts. I do it a little differently here. I know for thicker pieces of wood, I should use a bigger blade. I use a 2/0 blade for the cut-outs. I label the bottom of the piece that I cut out with the a direction arrow and description to remind me how to glue it back. The front and rear windows are very similar. Then I stain them, glue them back on and apply a clear coat to the whole thing. I also rounded over the doors to give more definition.
Trav

Reply with quote  #10 
Hmmm, that's interesting. Thanks guys for the details. I've got a large slab of 2 inch oak laying about. I'm going to cut off a manageable chunk and then do some practice cuts when i get a chance. That should give me a sense of what to expect.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.