Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
Cindy, When you dye wood, do you tape off the area that is to be glued, or is there no effect on the gluing of dyed wood?
Thanks for all you do for us. Don
ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Don -
I do not have to tape off.  Dye leaves the grain still open, unlike paint.  But because of it's nature it is difficult to work with.  I use it on only whole pieces, there is no way to stop it bleeding into an adjacent piece.  I tested the gluing issue on the wheels.  On my natural wood pieces I still like black wheels so I dye them.  A dowel connection is very small but it has held with all the twisting I can do.  Hope this helps. 
Cindy
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you much, I have heard that dye is some good things to work with. You have inspired me to give it a try. Look forward to your next build, your work is so professional.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you.  The dyes can be a challenge but I do like the wood grain showing through, even on the dark colors.  I am a mess when it comes to gluing and the dyes definitely show all mistakes so just work carefully.  I also like the look of natural wood but would like to throw in a little color.  Just trying different things. 
Alan

Reply with quote  #5 
I tried wood dyes on a Noahs Ark I did a while ago - didn't have any problems glueing  but like Cindy I only dyed whole pieces because of bleeding.  What I did have a problem with was with the finish - I found the wax/oil solution lifted the colour - I ended up using Polyvine wax finish varnish which seemed to do the trick

Alan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.