Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
I would like to know how you get the landing gear to stay up on the trailers that you have built. I have racked my itty bitty brain cells to no avail at how you do this. I am working on a set of tractors and trailers for my grandsons and would like to include the landing gear on the trailers.

I am doing the Freightliner plan set and doing some mod work, especially the trailers.

Thanks for all you do. Don
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Wooddawg - Thanks for the great question.
Right now the landing gear stays in place by being a friction fit.
The dowel is tight in the hole drilled into the mounting blocks.
I would imagine in time, after constant use, it just might loosen up and fall freely.
When that happens you could glue on a stop block to the pivoting portion so when in the down position
it does not rotate farther than needed.
That being said, if it is free falling, you would probable have to add some sort of latch to lock it in the upright position.
The friction fit has not let go yet and has been in use since 2014.

gazz

Reply with quote  #3 
Hope you don't mind me butting in but I've been thinking of this as well, I was thinking of making the the pin and hole slightly elliptical at the bottom as this would hold it in both up and down position.

Reply with quote  #4 
gazz
Not a problem - that's what the Forum is all about - sharing ideas.
If you make one using your idea, take a couple of close up photos and post on the forum.
You could even post sketches if you like.
You may just have the perfect solution for many trailers that could use a landing gear.
Thanks
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for getting back with all this great info. I too would like to see your idea gazz. Sounds like another great approach, that is what this place is all about.

Ya'll have a great week. After the storm left its liquid sunshine, which makes the grass grow, which takes time away from building, which leaves me grumpy and sad. And, we are now peaking 95-100 in daily temperatures. Spring sure was a short season. But looking at this from a positive ... I have lost almost 30 pounds in the last 60 days. Heat and humidity does carry a positive side.

Welcome to the Sunshine State...Don

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.