Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I made these for my grandson. I had made the Tow Truck Back when John posted the first pattern. Unlike the first one these were made full size. I could not find any suitable 2x stock in my local store so I cut up a 1x12 and glued up appropriate sized blocks to cut the bodies from. First I cut the the waste damaged wood and knots out of the board on saw horses with a circular saw. This gets it down to a manageable size for ripping on my Shopsmith table saw. After ripping the boards to width. I cut them to length using a miter saw. The blocks were

I cut the bodies with a very old RBI Hawk scroll saw. The blade changes are a bit of a pain to change but I'm convinced it cuts smoother than the Excalibur EX21.

The hardwood pieces were cut with my Shopsmith table saw and micro jig Grr-Ripper push block. The half inch lumber for the lumber truck was also cut with this method.

Most of the truck beds are white oak I bought at Home Depot with a few random pieces I had laying around that just happened to fit.

The barrels on the Lorry Truck are from a table leg someone gave me. They were a bit larger than called for and I had to enlarge the holes slightly.

I added axle pegs and rubber bands to the lumber truck for tie downs to keep the load in place. It works great.

These are ABPW (Already Been Played With) toys so there are some visable dings, dents and scratches.

My grandson take the tow truck to bed with him.

20180104-194112 - Wooden Toy Truck  - Quick N Easy 5 Truck Fleet - Lum.jpg

20180104-195826 - Wooden Toy Truck  - Quick N Easy 5 Truck Fleet - Lor.jpg 
20180104-201426 - Wooden Toy Truck  - Quick N Easy 5 Truck Fleet - Tow.jpg 
20180104-203230 - Wooden Toy Truck  - Quick N Easy 5 Truck Fleet - Dum.jpg 
20180104-204005 - Wooden Toy Truck  - Quick N Easy 5 Truck Fleet - Box.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Bad Bob, you made my day. These are sweeeeeeet! The color paint is really super and the wood grain showing through the color adds a lovely custom touch. Thes are premium toys.
Tony

Reply with quote  #3 
Great looking toys, did you brush or spray these

Reply with quote  #4 
I like Tony am curious if these were brushed or airbrushed. I have an awful lot of red oak left over and have been trying to figure out how to hide the wood grain. Any experience you can share is appreciated. The colours of the trucks caught my eye as well, is this acrylic craft paint. Beautiful looking trucks that your grandson will enjoy.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Great looking toys, did you brush or spray these

It's all done with a brush.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry
I like Tony am curious if these were brushed or airbrushed. I have an awful lot of red oak left over and have been trying to figure out how to hide the wood grain. Any experience you can share is appreciated. The colours of the trucks caught my eye as well, is this acrylic craft paint. Beautiful looking trucks that your grandson will enjoy.

The red on the  tow truck is craft paint on the top. I started with some red oops paint but the coverage was terrible. so I finished it off with craft paint.

The rest of the paint is all Home Depot oops paint. Acrylic house paint. The bodies are pine glued up from a 1x12 and primed with a shellac based primer. The primer is white so gives a good base for the colors to work on. However I suspect I really don't need it with this paint and wood. Being shellac based the primer cures very fast so it gets you through the sanding the fuzziness off really fast. I was able to sand and recoat continuously until it was nice and smooth. If I used just paint I would need to wait probably 24 hours to sand between coats. I sand and add primer until it feels smooth all over. Then I paint. Except for the red the paint covered in two coats.

I didn't make any attempt to hide the wood grain. I have customers that like the wood to show through. If I want it free of wood grain I whould use MDF.

The shellac and paint mix was an attempt to get the best of both worlds. The shellaced parts are mostly oak. A mix of white and red. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
I should also add that I applied the paint as thin as I could. As much as I like the idea of one coat coverage I find this very difficult to pull off with out runs and sags and drips. I get much better to put it on thin and apply several coats than try to get it all on at once. 

All of the painting was don using Lowe-Cornell #6 Golden Taklon. They work well for all of my finishes and I've never had any shedding.  They are not very expensive either. You can get sets of them for around $7 on Amazon and sometime half that on eBay.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #8 
Wonderful set of trucks BadBob!  I know they will be loved by your grandson.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.