Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
This is the companion Cobra Chopper to the previous post about the Huey Chopper. Both are the same scale wood toy plan and both are made with standard cuts and materials. The Cobra is 10" long. I would appreciate any feedback you have. I am working on the plan sets right now for both choppers and it will be Cynthia's next new product promotion. Thanks for all your comments on the forum about my designs. It is extremely helpful to  me and I greatly appreciate it.
cobra 003.jpg  cobra 004.jpg  cobra 006.jpg  hand holding Apache Chopper.jpg

ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
I love it.  I like the planes and helicopter.  And I like the scale. 
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
The 2 Military Helicopters look very nice and should make a nice build, I'd like to add I do believe civilian versions would be popular also and as an example I'd mention the familiarity of the Life Flight Helicopter and also a basic Helicopter with pontoons rather than the traditional skids.
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #4 
I think both are great! My father is a member of Military Vehicle Preservation Association and these would be a hit at their vehicle shows.  I'll definitely add them to my collection when the plans become available.
kenbod

Reply with quote  #5 
very nice plans both the aircraft  and the helicopters,  Seem nice simple square cuts but giving streamline appearance

Thanks  Ken

Reply with quote  #6 
I just spent some time looking at Cobra photos. There are a lot of different versions of it.

It looks great, except for the guns on the front. They don't look quite right. The AH-1 Cobras had a 1 x 20mm 3-barreled Gatling gun in powered chin turret. The children probably would not know the difference but dad might. I'm not a big helicopter guy but i went and looked at photos because something didn't look right. Other than that I think you have nailed it. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
I agree with you on the guns BadBob. The space is so small on this scale and the probability of breakage is so great I went with the bigger diameter and didn't include the rotating cannister on this one. I have a bigger scale model series in the planning stage that is as easy to make and the size to permit some really cool detail. It's still a toy but looks like a model. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
I didn't make any suggestions for the guns because any thing i could thing of would be way to flimsy for a toy.

I thought about the rocket pods or missiles but everything I could come up with violated the easy to make rule.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

calhanton

Reply with quote  #9 
With all my helicopters I have found the offset blades are a weak point when kids are playing. I have reverted to straight and wider and had no complaints. Kids do not worry too much about this detail as they love any wooden toys made by their poppa. This also applies to toys for others if they know the maker.
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #10 
The cockpit looks a little complicated. Is it a compound cut?
john lewman

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Brian,

The cockpit is a compound cut but of a very simple to execute design. There is a pattern for the top and for the side cut and both require no angle cuts and both are simple straight cuts.
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #12 
I like this it will go well with the UH-1.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
I can see where the offset Blade could be a problem. Perhaps plywood would work for these.

I've not used much plywood thinner than 3/4 inch.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.