Author   Comment  
Wombat

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

Loved the look of this little train as soon as I saw it, modern, colourful, and the addition of the station and little people tipped the scales.   Multi-coloured paintwork using craft acrylics for the first time, a first try at mod-podge artwork application, and the task of aligning windows and window frames were the challenges for me in this neat little playset.
I discovered that the acrylic worked best on raw timber, using a sealer first made it hard to apply an even coat.
I also discovered in hindsight, that painting fully assembled toys in multiple colours is a chore.
Quickly learned that accurate scroll-sawing is an art I have yet to master, and built a router sled to do all the window openings.

As I tend to do, I made a start on two of these together, with the hope that one might turn out OK.
Happy with them both.
Haven't let them out of the house yet, don't want orders, would prefer to make some of the other plans I have purchased first.   Each new toy has its own lessons. I fear there are plenty more in store for me.

Alan

Quick N Easy Super Train

IMG_20180930_152005_309.jpg  IMG_20180930_152046_783.jpg  IMG_20180930_152630_146.jpg  IMG_20180930_152654_385.jpg  P1040970.jpg  P1040973.jpg  P1040974.jpg  P1040976.jpg  P1040981.jpg 
PS  there were two stations made, just couldn't get them all on the stage

Garrymac

Reply with quote  #2 
Tell us more about the sled you made to do the windows!

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice job. Looks great!!

Reply with quote  #4 
Looks terrific. First class workmanship. 
Bucko

Reply with quote  #5 
Fantastic, I could view these pictures all day long.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #6 

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words.

GarrymacTell us more about the sled you made to do the windows!

Garry,
I have a small  router table that I cobbled together, which uses a trim router.
I did not want to nail (or risk using double side sticky-tape ) to attach a pattern to each carriage side, so I created a pattern sled that I could hold work in.
First I made a pattern for the pattern using scrap DAR timber, tacked that to some 6mm mdf, bored a 5/8" hole in each space to get the 1/2" dia copy-router bit started, then routed out the holes. Removed the temp pattern.  I then marked out the shape of the carriage side in relation to the window holes.
 I then used some scrap 2x1 pine to make a three sided frame in the correct location and mounted a small toggle clamp.
With carriage sides cut to size, I could slip one in, clamp, drill starter holes and route the windows with my fingers safely well away from the router bit.
For the longer carriage side, I did only the two long windows then flipped the workpiece end for end and did the third.  ( hence the open end on the sled )
The 3mm mdf window frames were done in the same way, cutting them down to final size after routing the window openings. Although the stuff is cheap, it was a bit wasteful, so for the little end windows, I made a smaller insert and started with smaller bits of mdf.

Agreed, a fair bit of up-front work, but the accuracy and repeatability satisfied my needs.
( I spent years programming a CNC router, you get used to the idea of clean accurate cuts)

Anyway here are some pics to allow you to interpret the above epistle.
Alan

IMG_20181116_091702_305.jpg 
IMG_20181116_091349_891.jpg 
IMG_20181116_091115_042.jpg  IMG_20181116_091142_874.jpg  IMG_20181116_091232_663.jpg 

Trav

Reply with quote  #7 
Nice train. That's a really clever setup you have. I have a table router but it's under-utilized. It's probably the power tool that confuses and intimidates me the most. I really should sit down next summer and invest the time to familiarize myself with how to use it.
AES

Reply with quote  #8 
That's a very nice job for a first go. Either/both those trains would please any train-minded child. They look like typical suburban area trains, and those "auto trains" you see running between terminals at big airports.

Now THERE'S an idea for a BIG play set!

As you've already found out, it's much easier to paint toys as sub-assemblies, rather than wait until all is finished. The only "trick to watch out for is to clear all the paint away from any areas that will need glue afterwards. A sharp craft knife and pen knife helps there.

I think your router jig is very clever too. One trick I got somewhere (I think from here) is to use a piece of thick-ish Perspex as a "handle". Stick it to the part with either double-sided tape (the stuff for carpets works well) or hot melt glue. You can then bring the job down onto the spinning router bit quite safely, though depending on the job, a starter pin helps a lot. I find this tip especially good for rounding over small parts - a small-radius bearing guided router bit is the trick here of course.

Great stuff, well done Sir. 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
This is really a beautifully done set of trains and accessories. I have never seen a better example of this particular design. It is one of my favorites and you have done it up proud!
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #10 
The train looks terrific, well done. Interesting router set up, too!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.