Author   Comment  
RabidAlien

Reply with quote  #1 

Maybe its just me, and I need some new drill bits, but I have an older Dremel scroll saw with 3" pin-end blades.  I was having to drill a 9/32" hole to get the blades through (and that was with some wiggling, prayer, and foul language).  This, of course, limited me on how small a detail I could cut, due to the diameter of the hole.  So while browsing fretwork examples on Pinterest (its not just for recipes!!), I found one of those "8 simple tricks for xxxxx" pins.  This one was on scrollsaws, and the fact that it came from Woodworking magazine kinda piqued my interest.  The second one (I believe), involved taking a steel plate of some sort (I would imagine aluminum would not hold up as long), drilling a 1/16" hole, and using that hole to tap the pin out of the top end of the scroll saw blade.  So I thought I'd give it a try.

One trip to Home Depot later (got a strike plate, I believe, it was ~$2 and over by the door knobs), I drilled a 3/4" hole through a piece of scrap 2x4, affixed the metal plate over the top, and drilled my 1/16" over the center of the hole (allows the pin somewhere to go, and drilling all the way through keeps it from filling up).  Used an older blade as a test, set the blade flat with one pin down into the 1/16" hole, tapped it with a hammer, and it rammed through flush with the blade.  I finished with an ice pick I had laying around (don't ask), pushing the pin the rest of the way through.  The blade now fits through a 7/32" hole instead of a 9/32", which gives me a lot more options for fine details!

The article suggested using a safety pin to thread back through the hole to fit onto the saw for tension.  My wife sews, though, and uses all of hers, so I found a paperclip works just as well.  May not be *quite* as sturdy as a safety pin, but it is fine for tension and if it wears out, well, paperclips are everywhere. 

Bring on the next project!!

Original Pinterest article...credit where credit is due:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/481603753895536311/ 20180127_191108.jpg  20180127_191141.jpg   

Reply with quote  #2 
I'm not going to ask about you ice pick because I have crochet hooks on my tool board. [smile]

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

RabidAlien

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey, if it works, it works! 

I'll add that if you have a drill press (which I did not at the time I posted this....which problem has now been rectified!), you can just drill a series of 3 or 4 1/16 or smaller holes, make a line just long enough to fit the head of the blade through.  So you're only having to worry about length, not length and width of the hole.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.