Author   Comment  
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone come up with a method of making accurate and repeatable angled cuts on small pieces of 2-by material like the one in the photo?  A piece with one angle side and a 90 degree side isn't a problem but a piece like this that has angles cut on both ends and is fairly small is a bit more challenging to do accurately, repeatable and safe.

Has anyone made a jig or fixture to do it?  Which tool(s) work best? 

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 8.58.53 AM.png

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi ,I suggest that you make a long length with the angles cut and use a chop saw to cut into small pieces . Douglas
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Paul (pdaunno) - Douglas' reply is spot on, start with a long piece of stock.
I see you are working on the top portion of the Easy Weekenders vehicles - nice project which yields excellent wooden toys, good choice.
I went to the workshop and quickly did some cuts and photographed my steps.
Most 10" chop saws will cut a 2x4 across it's width being 3-1/2" with no difficulty. The part you showed me measures 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 3-5/16".

Lets start
6062 B.jpg 
So from my scrap bin I picked out a piece of Cedar just over 12" in length to that I can make three (3) top sections.

6063 B.jpg 
Here are my results after making the various cuts. The long angle is 45° and the short angle is 75° and it's compliment is 15°. I used the 15° for my cuts on the chop saw. Note: My cuts were not to the drawing specifications, I only wanted to demonstrate the procedure.

6064 A.jpg 
Sorry for the focusing, but the photo is still usable. My first cut was a 15° mitre angle. The arrows point to the fence and 'A' represents the top of the 2x4.

6065 A.jpg 
I then flipped the 2x4 over, 'B' represents bottom and again the arrow points towards the fence. I then cut a right 45° angle, safely and lots of room for hands on the left of the saw blade.

6066 A.jpg 
The first block has been removed. The 2x4 has been flipped over to the 'A' side. Since the 45° angle is already there, all I had to do was cut the next 15° angle.

6067 A.jpg 
The block has been removed, the 2x4 flipped to the bottom, angle changed to cut a right 45° angle.
Still lots of room on the left to hold the wood relatively safely. I would recommend starting with a piece of wood that is 15" in length or longer to make you feel much more safer when making this cut.

6069 A.jpg 
Here are my results - three (3) top sections done in minutes. Again not to scale, but only showing technique.
If your chop saw has problems cutting down the 3-1/2" width of 2x4, then change the design. Make the top section less wide. Who's to say you can not make it 3-1/4" or even 3" wide.  No one will know but you. Change the width of the bottom section if you wish also.

Lastly ... another option. Use a sacrificial board.
6075 A.jpg 
Double side tape your work piece with a few strips of tape to a sacrificial backer board which you will hold against the fence. Now you can cut both left and right mitre angles and your left hand can safely hold the work piece while cutting.
Yes you can flip the assembly to have the sacrificial backer board on the bottom and you work piece on top of it.  Change the saw blade tilt (bevel) and make the cuts, but that is a lot of work moving it left and right and maybe your saw only bevels in one direction.

So my friend, hope this helps and that you appreciated that I used a nice piece of Cedar.

These angle cuts can be easily done using the table saw also.  Again, the trick is to start with a long piece of wood held firmly against the mitre gauge as you pass the wood thru the table saw blade which has been beveled. The 2x4 would be flat and the blade height raise to comfortably cut thru 1-1/2" of material. Mounting an extension board to your mitre gauge, which extends past the saw blade will help eliminate unwanted tear out.

pdaunno

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Imants for this tip!  I tried it over the weekend and it worked very well.  I love when a woodworking problem can be solved with a simple solution [smile]

Paul - Glad to help, that's what the forum is a about. Looking forward to seeing your complete fleet on the Forum - Udie

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.