Author   Comment  
daraldf

Reply with quote  #1 
I bought 1/8 inch dowels for a project. They are bigger than the 1/8 inch holes I drilled for them. Any suggestions from you experts on the best way to resize them?
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
maybe the simplest way would be to chuck them up into a drill and just gently sand till you get the size you are looking for. I have done this on small pieces that i needed for accent's on projects

I sure there are other was but this is quick pretty quick

Reply with quote  #3 
If the dowel is too small, what the?  Spray the dowel with very light coats of clear finish till it fits.  Or,
use a water base dye or other water base finish.  This will cause the wood to swell.  DO NOT SAND.

Reply with quote  #4 
I forgot I had a dowel cutter. They are perfect after running through the cutter. I'm probably too much of a perfectionist but this is a gift for my dad.

Thanks for the feedback.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I have had so many issues with this.  I've come up with a few strategies.

Buy you dowels or pegs in larger batches from a reliable source.  I don't buy dowels from big box stores. I think you have a better chance of getting the same size. Maybe even from the same tree.

Measure the dowels and drill the hole to the size you need. Use calipers. Eyeballing it with a tape measure isn't good enough if you want a good fit. Measure at least twice at 90 degrees. They are not always round.

A full set of twist drills with letter and number bits is what you need for this. If the hole is a little tight, measure the dowel and choose the bit that is the next larger size.  Try it on a test piece.

When enlarging holes, use a handheld drill and spin it in reverse. this keeps the bit from grabbing and rearing up the hole.

Dry fit everything before assembly. Put the wheels and axles on the toy insert all the dowels or pegs to their full depth. You might find one the gets stuck. If they are hard to get out/apart you can bet that they are going to be harder to get in.  The wood swells slightly when you apply the wood glue and there has to be somewhere for the glue to go. I hate it when an axle peg gets stuck halfway in. It can be repaired but it's hard to do without damaging the paint.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

gsmith89

Reply with quote  #6 
You are right on about dowel pins. I buy all my dowels from Craftparts. I have never had a problem with them. If for some reason I need to go to the big box store I take my calipers.  
daraldf

Reply with quote  #7 
I've taken wheels with me to buy 1/4" dowels. In fact, there is still one in my pocket today. 😁
Djtjak

Reply with quote  #8 

I had this trouble today, a 3/16 dowel was too large for a 3/16 hole  I had drilled. I drilled a 3/16 hole in a piece of steel and gently pushed the dowel through, it came out the correct size.

Reply with quote  #9 
Make a dowel trimmer.
1. Obtain a piece of steel bar 5mm x 20 x 50
2. Drill a range of holes in it. The common sizes that you will use
3. Use a multi-tool with the cutting disc attached and score across the holes approx 4 times.these become the cutters.
4. Attach it to a Wooden plinth
5. Attach this in a vice
6. Put your oversized dowel in your hand drill and slightly chamfer the exposed end
7. Drill the dowel through the next sized hole down from the dowel size
8. Repeat this until correct size is achieved
9. Finally put the new sized dowel between a folded 300 piece of sandpaper

I haven't purchased dowels for a long time just use scrap pieces and make my own.

Hope this helps

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_0464.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 1005.08 KB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
You can also make then with a die.

Watch this video to see how. It's at about 1:50.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.