Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
One of my many incarnations of the rocking horse from the Heirloom Rocking Horse plans

I made a few construction changes because I like to use my kreg pocket hole jig to attach the 19mm planks together to form a lamination.

These were fun projects and quite popular for the lead up to Christmas.

The whole horse is made from Australian Plantation grown radiata pine with thw saddle/stirrups from 12mm plywood stained with whatever colour it is - I'm actually colour blind so my partner (know as the Goddess - wife, partner, best friend and worshipped by me) actually selected the stain.

The finish is several layers of Danish Oil polished to a pleasant lustre and topped off with our own beeswax/olive oil finish. We have friends who keep bees [wink]

Plus mineral oil is a petroleum by-product so I don't tend to use it on my toys.

Takes about 45 minute from start to finish to cut and assemble but there is a lot of time taken allowing for glue to dry/cure.

Hope you like it.

rockinhorse.jpg 
Also like to add that I'm not sucking up (as we say in Australia) but the plans were a pleasure to work with, to see, to print and to cut out.

I have arthritic hands (not after sympathy here) and find it easier to make larger stuff than fiddley gear so really appreciated the ease of construction.

Well done to the team here [thumb]

Reply with quote  #2 
Doc: Well done Doc, excellent job [thumb] Projects like these are really hard to give away once completed.

Excellent presentation also. From your posts we can see that not only are you a craftsman but also have elevated computer skills. Now, be prepared to answer a couple members questions like, how did you do the background for your photos, what software are you using. The answers to these would be great for the Tips and Tricks spot on the forum.

My question to you is ... do you mark/brand/label your projects?
If you do, which method do you use?

Again, excellent job Doc.

Doc

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for that Udie, real nice post to welcome my day with [thumb]
My pre-toymaking days professional background is in IT and Psychology - useful combination because if I couldn't solve the IT problem I could at least help work you through the grieving process [wink]
I use the latest version of Photoshop for tarting up my graphics and I would be happy to do such a tutorial.
I am a real expert at using Photoshop but that's mainly because I am so crappy at taking photos [rolleyes]
As for the branding/labelling - for most of my stuff I a simple 'Hand Crafted By Doc' stamp after the timber has been sanded usually with 220 grit. The ink doesn't seem to bleed.
For some of the larger items (my rocking horse, dolls houses and rid ons) I may use one of my silk screened stencils with my logo on.

Reply with quote  #4 
Doc: Ref Photo Enhancement/Improvements
Thank you for your offer for the tutorial and I would like to take you up on that offer.
Demonstrate something simple.
We might be using the same program, Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 and in some cases the same tools such as Magic Wand and Quick Select, Crop, with Alt functions to add and delete materials.
Great place to put it would be in the How-to-Do's Tips and Tricks.

BTW I love what you have been displaying, your helpful feedback to the members and certainly the outstanding presentations of your projects. Thank you for that from all of us at Toymakingplans.com.
The background kind of reminds me of the 70's, tie-dye T-shirts, lots of colour in those days.
Doc

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Udie

Udie, I'll work on something over the next few days. Sorry to remind people of the bright and crazy 70's [crazy]

I actually started using Photoshop to get rid of the backgrounds on some of my stuff because I was too embarrassed to show my toy workshop mess in the background [biggrin]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.