Author   Comment  
Greg

Reply with quote  #1 
I just finished this for my cousin's granddaughter.
the body and  cross  members are  made from ash, the mane and tail are mahogany  and the  halter , saddle and saddle straps are walnut  the step supports and wedges are pine. and of course its  finished with the beeswax paste 
Now ashhorse2.JPG  it's back to the shop to do one for my granddaughter in cherry

Tony

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow looks good that beeswax really enhances the wood.
Tony

Reply with quote  #3 
Really elegant horse, thankx for sharing!  How did you attach the saddle?
 Steve

Reply with quote  #4 
the saddle is attached with screws and glue and capped with a dowel the screws are offset on the other side so there is no chance of the screws running into each other  I tried to use a dowel right through but I found it too difficult to get it all lined up
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
There are going to be some happy campers to receive that one a beautiful heirloom as well.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Nice work. From the looks of the shop in the background you have been involved in woodworking for a long time. You keep a very clean shop and by the glimpses of the tools you have some fine ones to work with. What other toys have you made? We would love to see photos of your shop and learn more about your woodworking methods. We look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Greg,
 The horse looks fantastic! I purchased these same plans and the ash lumber about 12 years ago and have never got to the build. Something else always pops up. Your photo has got me inspired to dig out the plans and give it a go. Did you route channels for the halter and saddle straps or are they glued on top of the ash like the tail and mane details? Again, great job!
                                                                                Brian
Greg

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the great comments .... makes all the blue air in the shop worth it.

John- you can only see a part of the shop it's not really that clean if I do a tour it will have to be cleaned up some. 15 or so years ago my wife told I need a hobby so I would have something to do when I retired so I started to accumulate tools and teach myself how to use them .
Our girls insisted the we not going to have grandchildren , our oldest was told she could not have them because of a medical problem  our younger just didn't want them.  
but because we have a large extended family that were beginning to have their own kids I started making these horses 
Our oldest had a miracle daughter (we almost lost them during birth) and the younger finally settled down and had a girl last year so I have made about 10 of these (with different degrees of success) 
That's how and why I got into toymaking then one day I was surfing and found toymakingplans and I'm hooked, it was a good thing my wife got me started when she did because I was forced into retirement earlier than expected due to health reasons
Brian; yes I routed the saddle straps and harness in I haven't gotten brave enough to see if I can do the mane and tail detail yet too many curves for me. Although I did just finish one made of cherry wood and I put a fluffy mane and tail on it
I photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG attached a couple of photos but they are upside down not sure why that happened 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #9 
Greg,

Looking good you should have these down to and art now that you have so many under your belt as it where LOL
If we all was to admit it we all probably have some blue air floating around from time to time.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.