Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I built one of these this weekend. The design called for a round table but I didn't have a jig on hand to cut it and couldn't figure out why it needed to be round so mine is square.

20160417_163321.jpg 20160417_175024.jpg 20160417_175032.jpg 20160417_175040.jpg 20160417_175050.jpg 20160417_175306.jpg 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is a fine piece of workmanship and great photos. Could you post a few notes on how you use the hole grid and the turn table for efficiency? That would be valuable input for all of us.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
You can use dowels with points on them to support the part while its being painted or use painter pyramids if you have them. Nails will also work. My primary reason for building this is so I don't need to hold the part while painting. I have been putting a dowel in one of the holes in the car bodies to hold it while painting. This works well for things that are small like play pals but not so good for Freaky Fords made from heavy MDF. I have to keep a death grip on a 1/4 inch dowel to rotate it while painting and I only have one hand to rotate it with. Some sort of paint stand seemed like a good idea.

It cost me about $5.00 I didn't buy anything except the Lazy Susan.

The hardest part is drilling the holes. Not really difficult but time consuming.

The holes are in a radial pattern and are 17/64 inch in diameter. Just 1/64 larger than the 1/4 inch dowels.Most of the designs I looked at said to drill 1/4 holes. My experience says don't do this unless you like using pliers to pry the dowels out.

john lewman

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the pro clarification and video. Now I understand and am pretty excited about making my own. I have never done this and always intended to make some kind of rotating base for painting. This is as fine as any I have seen and it is very understandable to make based on your tutorials in the post.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a similar one cost me nothing an old office chair with seat & back removed and board attached it spins and goes up and down and it's on wheels I LOVE IT.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
john lewman

Reply with quote  #6 
Roly-great idea with the old chair and mount board. Please post a photo or video so we can fully understand what you are experiencing. We see stray old office chairs here and there at garage sales and with BadBob's peg mount setup we are good to go!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
I was going to clamp this to a stool.

john lewman

Reply with quote  #8 
I think I prefer the stool idea. I have a couple of those in the shop. Sit on one, spray on one!
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
Roly-great idea with the old chair and mount board. Please post a photo or video so we can fully understand what you are experiencing. We see stray old office chairs here and there at garage sales and with BadBob's peg mount setup we are good to go!

Here you go John couldn't move it up and down had camera in other hand but people get the idea. Works for me I've even used it as a saw table and a coffee table and a seat so multi uses.

john lewman

Reply with quote  #10 
Perfect. That makes a really flexible unit for spraying wood toys and the height adjustment is big plus for this old aching back when I stoop!
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
Perfect. That makes a really flexible unit for spraying wood toys and the height adjustment is big plus for this old aching back when I stoop!

Don't forget it transportable as well and you could build a spray tent for the top as well and I think it down to you imagination the attachment for the top. lol

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
I was going to clamp this to a stool.

Yes Bob make it detachable for other uses. love the peg idea.[thumb][thumb] 

Big Yin

Reply with quote  #13 
Great idea. I like the idea of being able to move it about rather than
have an area taken up by it being in situ. Being able to raise up/down is a big bonus.
On the look out for an old abandoned chair now. Combine that with BadBob's stand.
Perfect.

Thanks again for posting videos of both ideas for board and  stool. 

Ian
Greg

Reply with quote  #14 
don't just focus on  chairs. I think a round piano stool might work also. I never took music lessons but I think they have a 3-4 inch rise.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
don't just focus on  chairs. I think a round piano stool might work also. I never took music lessons but I think they have a 3-4 inch rise.

Good point Greg I think there will be a few stools and chairs missing around the world with the new improved Bob peg boards attached.[wink][rofl]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.