Author   Comment  
NJPOPPOP

Reply with quote  #1 
I just started making some trucks for my grandson and the problem is the wheels. I made the large dumptruck and the 5inch wood wheels on our hardwood floors sounds like a thunderstorm. My attempt to quiet them was to take some rubber non slip stair treds, cut strips and glue them on. Not perfect but they work.

Would anyone have a source for small rubber tires 2 - 5 inch that would work on the toys.

Thanks
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #2 
NJPOPPOP;
   Maybe some rubber bands glued to the out side of the tires ..... I have several radio remote cars that I chase our cats around the house with and they have to much torque so I put the wide rubber bands on the tires and it helps with the sound and with the traction. Maybe this is one way to quiet things down.
Don
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
NJPOPOP - A while ago a contacted a fellow that supplied wheels with O-Rings and he sent me some bags of samples. Unfortunately he does not have a web site. IMG_5973 C.jpg Sample sizes were 1", 1-1/2", 2" and 2-1/2". I do not know if he makes or supplies other sizes. I really like the 1" diameter ones. The wheels circumference has been grooved and the O-ring fits snugly in the grove.

Here is his contact info: FP Wooden Concepts ... frank.picciotto@hotmail.com

Back to your problem.
A couple of ideas come to mind ...
Cut a bicycle tire tube and adhere the rubber to the wooden wheel. You may have to use Contact Cement for a permanent bond.
Another approach is what adhesive backed product can you buy at a Big Box hardware store.
Take a look at the weather-stripping section, I know they have self adhesive weather-stripping that just might do the trick, some are foam and some are rubber, some thick and some thin.
Another idea would be to look in the roof repair section. There are 6" wide rolls of rubber, adhesive backed which can be cut to width and attached to your tires. These are peel-n-stick for quick roof repairs.
0-Rings - not sure if you can purchase them that big, but maybe a plumbing supply store might be able to help. You might have to groove the wheel to secure them in place.
If creating a groove in the wheel is not a problem for you then you may be able to use the rubber used in window screen repair. This is the rubber gasket that is pressed against the nylon/wire mesh screen into a groove in the window screen.
Which now leads us to the window repair people. They just might have some sore of peel-n-stick rolls of weather-stripping also.
Hope some of this helps.
Let us know how you make out and post a couple of photos of your solution.
We would all like to see your solution, I think it will be very helpful for all of us with the same problem.

NJPOPPOP

Reply with quote  #4 
Good ideas. The stuff I used also had an adhesive on it but wouldn't stick well . I had to use some solvent to remove it and then use contact adhesive to get them to glue well. I'll add a photo soon so you can see. The nice part is they have a tread like surface on them.
NJPOPPOP

Reply with quote  #5 
Here's the "stair tred" strips I added to the wheels. 20141219_145121.jpg 
Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
The o rings are a good idea too , if you have a lathe you can soon cut a groove in a wheel to accept the ring .Douglas
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.