Author   Comment  
jcorrea

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I need to paint some toys for my one year grandson.  I would like to use Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X, because I have used it on other projects with great results.  While searching on the internet some sites says it is child safe after it cure other refer that it contains hazards chemicals.

Need to know if any member of these forum had used it on children toys?

Also, what about the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 32 oz. Ultra Cover Gloss brush type?

Thanks,

Jorge
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
If the child does not eat the toy or chew and swallow the paint then the paint is totally safe when dry. 
pclarke

Reply with quote  #3 
use latex,sanding sealer a little 330 grit and high gloss paint. sprayed on ,get the paint so it drips at end of small dowel stick, fill the touch up spray container . spray a little at a time build up .let dry good .
Edjohn

Reply with quote  #4 
I've used Krylon for years and I know it's safe. I did some research on it to find out. I found the Rustoleum 2X on sale so I tried it on a project. I don't know about the safety issue but personally I don't like it quite as well as Krylon because it doesn't dry/cure as fast and I don't think I got as smooth of a finish. Just my personal non professional opinion. Went back to Krylon.
vj

Reply with quote  #5 
For the past few years, I have made wooden toys for Children's Hospital in Detroit.  They publish a standard to which the toys must comply.  In regards to finishes, Rustoleum 2X is acceptable.Some others that are acceptable are:  Zinsser BIN primer and all shellacs, and Watco Spray Lacquer (all types). There are also others.
Hope this helps
vjb
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
This is so helpful and confirms what has been said on the forum many times. Rustoleum 2x is safe for toys.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.