Author   Comment  
Peterb803

Reply with quote  #1 
Folks, I am new here so please excuse any rube questions.

I am well into my first rocking horse build. Just finished making all the cuts.

I am using a saber saw / jig saw for this.
Bosch 1590EVS

I am using Bosch "T" shank blades.......T308B

the blade makes a nice cut, smooth edge, but imo is slow.

I don't have a lot of experience with a saber saw.....have had one forever, just used sparingly.
So, I don't know what to expect from the saw. If I have to sacrifice speed for a nice clean cut.....
I, of course, would do so.
anyway...

so my questions are:

1. Am I using the correct blade....??? I do want the nice clean cut , smooth edge.
2.What blades are you using in your saw...???
3. How long should a blade last going through 1 1/2" pine....???
4. Is a scroll saw faster....???

thank you for your experience.
pb
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
You have an excellent saw and probably the best blade for the job.

Yes, its slow. The smother the cut the slower.

I would rather cut slow and sand less.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Peterb803

Reply with quote  #3 
Absolutely......

thanks for the response......pressing on.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #4 
Good question Peter - I am unfamiliar with the use of a sabre saw so questions like this help many of us.
Cindy
Peterb803

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Cindy,

thank you for the response.

Saber saw / jig saw........basically the same thing. I am old school and use the term that my father used 50 years ago.

saber saw.

I'm not sure how it got that name....the only thing that comes to mind is the shape of the blades back then......or....maybe they were plunge sawing....???
I don't know. I guess I could Google the term and see......but I have far too much work to do....and....I'm procrastinating as we speak....
my excuse is.....I'm waiting for it to warm up.....55* here and I must glue.....and sand...always sanding to do.....lol.

oh and Cindy.....I am very impressed with your work...!
p
ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Peter and I know what you mean - sanding is our life.  But the better the blades the less sanding, it is like paying an assistant without any drama. 
Have fun. 
Peterb803

Reply with quote  #7 
Cindy,

I am impressed with the clean edge the blades are leaving.

When I first began thinking I would like to try this, I thought that I would have to use my router table and edge bit to clean up.....but that has proved not the case.
I will sand the radius edges either by hand, or with my table top belt and disc sander.

still....this is taking far longer than I expected, but, this is the first one, and I am hoping that things will go faster with future builds.
p
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #8 
This is what we call a sabre saw here in the UK which is not suitable for cutting out small parts.

[image]

The model you have is a Jigsaw. The blade is good for wood requiring a fine cut.

From the bosch site
  • Designed for extra-fine straight cuts in hard and soft woods, plywood, laminated particle board and MDF
  • 12 TPI tooth profile and high carbon steel blade body for extra-clean clean cuts and long life in wood
  • 4-1/2 In. overall length, 3-1/2 In. usable length

Reply with quote  #9 
Derek,

the pic of your saw is what we call ( in my area anyway) a "Sawz-all".
and maybe I have been calling it wrong for 50 years....the blades on the sawzall do look sort of like a sabre.

I realize that what I have is a Jig saw. I just prefer, and have always called my type of saw, a sabre saw.

[021181081_3_th] 

thanks,
pb
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #10 
Another name which sabre saws are given is a Reciprocating saw. At the end of the day as long as a tool achieves exactly what you want is great and look forward to seeing your end toy which is what we are all here for. Have fun and enjoy every moment of your build[thumb]
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.