kstano83
I took my first oak boards to a local carpenter for thickness planing and after I told him I will be making toys out of it, he was surprised. When I asked if there is any problem, he said it´s not safe, toxic and even cancerous. If it is made for kids that don´t put it in their mouth, it is fine. But he definitely would not let babies play with it. And when I cut it, I should definitely wear a mash so I wont inhale the dust of it. Can anyone elaborate it please? I see that almost everyone posting here uses oak wood on toys. 
Quote
BadBob
All wood has toxins as do most plants. You can die from eating raw beans.



Look here for info on wood.
Quote
john lewman
I knew a guy who died when an oak limb fell on his head and one who choked on an oak whistle. There is no one one record that I could find who has died eating, chewing or sucking on oak. That said, teething toys are best made from hard rock maple. That has been common for centuries. I survived chewing on them as has generations of kids.
Quote
kstano83
LOL, these are the answers I was expecting, got it, thanks 😉
Quote
Bucko
Walnut bothers my Sinus but so far the Oak hasn’t but I wouldn’t want to drop an Oak toy vehicle on my toe- ouch
Quote
BadBob
I would not use oak for a teether because of the large pores would make keeping clean almost impossible. I think that is why they use hard maple.

There is more info than you can read on plant toxins. I grow scarlet runner beans in my garden that have warnings on the package.  All legumes have this toxin. These have a lot of it.  Being eaten isn't in a plant's best interest. They develop toxins to defend themselves. Black walnut trees kill other plants to take out the competition. Don't mulch your tomato plants with black walnut leaves. They will die.

Black Walnut, red maple, and oak trees are very toxic to horses, sometimes causing death.

The fact is that there are not many plants that do not have some toxins in them.  Including most of the ones you eat. Think about this the next time you eat a plant that makes you gassy. Lectcin posining is not uncommon.

Cucurbit Poisoning


 

Quote
BadBob
OK, something strange just happened to the forum. It looks different and my posting was there multiple times. I deleted the extras. I hope.
Quote
cynthia lewman
We have a team working on the forum and applying a new template. The new template will allow members using their smartphones or tablets to upload and insert their photos rather than just being able to attach photos as thumbnails. 
Quote
BadBob
Thought it might be something like that. Thanks.
Quote