Author   Comment  
kstano83

Reply with quote  #1 
I took my first oak boards to a local carpenter for thickness planing and after I told him I will be making toys out of it, he was surprised. When I asked if there is any problem, he said it´s not safe, toxic and even cancerous. If it is made for kids that don´t put it in their mouth, it is fine. But he definitely would not let babies play with it. And when I cut it, I should definitely wear a mash so I wont inhale the dust of it. Can anyone elaborate it please? I see that almost everyone posting here uses oak wood on toys. 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
All wood has toxins as do most plants. You can die from eating raw beans.

Look here for info on wood.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
I knew a guy who died when an oak limb fell on his head and one who choked on an oak whistle. There is no one one record that I could find who has died eating, chewing or sucking on oak. That said, teething toys are best made from hard rock maple. That has been common for centuries. I survived chewing on them as has generations of kids.
kstano83

Reply with quote  #4 
LOL, these are the answers I was expecting, got it, thanks 😉
Bucko

Reply with quote  #5 
Walnut bothers my Sinus but so far the Oak hasn’t but I wouldn’t want to drop an Oak toy vehicle on my toe- ouch
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I would not use oak for a teether because of the large pores would make keeping clean almost impossible. I think that is why they use hard maple.

There is more info than you can read on plant toxins. I grow scarlet runner beans in my garden that have warnings on the package.  All legumes have this toxin. These have a lot of it.  Being eaten isn't in a plant's best interest. They develop toxins to defend themselves. Black walnut trees kill other plants to take out the competition. Don't mulch your tomato plants with black walnut leaves. They will die.

Black Walnut, red maple, and oak trees are very toxic to horses, sometimes causing death.

The fact is that there are not many plants that do not have some toxins in them.  Including most of the ones you eat. Think about this the next time you eat a plant that makes you gassy. Lectcin posining is not uncommon.

Cucurbit Poisoning

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
OK, something strange just happened to the forum. It looks different and my posting was there multiple times. I deleted the extras. I hope.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
We have a team working on the forum and applying a new template. The new template will allow members using their smartphones or tablets to upload and insert their photos rather than just being able to attach photos as thumbnails. 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Thought it might be something like that. Thanks.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.