Author   Comment  
Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #1 
I have started with the San Diego dump truck. 'All straight cuts' so I thought that will be an easy job! How wrong I was again! Especially the wheels were a ne challenge. I make alle the wheels myself. Usually I use a whole saw on the drill press and sand them later so that they become really smooth and round. The hole saw has a drill in it of 6 mm (1/4"). The axes in the truck however have to be 8 mm! So I started making wheels with the hole saw. After sanding them I drilled the holes in the middle of the wheels again with 8 mm drill. That was a complete disaster. The holes were not in the middle anymore and the axes didn't fit at all.

Plan B. I used my scroll saw to make 10 new wheels. After that I drilled a 8 mm hole in each of them. With the disc sander I tried to make them as round as possible. Sanding with the drill press was the next step. Finally I glued them one by one on the axes in the truck. That is a challenge by itself! I use pieces of plastic to not glue everything together. Hopefully the truck will drive when the glue has dried.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 86, Size: 1.82 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 90, Size: 1.38 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 83, Size: 1.28 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 82, Size: 1.26 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 80, Size: 1.88 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 85, Size: 1.84 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 89, Size: 1.27 MB 

Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #2 
Miriam,

I also make my own wheels and prefer using a hole saw. I have  tried cutting wheels with the scroll saw, but that is a disaster! Firstly you battle to get the axle hole dead centre and thereafter you battle to get the wheel perfectly round. I use my mini lathe to drill the holes for the axles in the wheel which I find works well. (I mount the wheel in the chuck and I mount the drill in a normal stationary drill chuck mounted in the tail stock). 
I am busy with a freight liner dump truck of which I have reduced the size to 70% of the original drawing. This has now resulted that the axle diameters will have to be 4 mm. What I am planning to do is to use a hole saw which uses a 6 mm drill, whereafter I will plug the holes in the wheels with a 6 mm dowel. Then I will clamp the wheels in my lathe chuck and drill the 4 mm holes. 
Glueing of wheels onto the axles is a challenge. I have the t-shirt!! This is something I do very carefully with spacers, pieces of tissue paper, ear buds close-by, etc. What I find helps  is to put the glue on so that it presses out where you can easily wipe it off. When you are pressing a wheel onto an axle, put the glue in the axle hole and not on the axle. The glue should then squeeze out on the side that you are pushing from.
Hope this helps!

Regards
Dolf
Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you, Dolf, for your great tips! It helps me a lot. Knowing that I am not the only one struggling with making and gluing wheels also helps a lot.

It is possible to sand the wheels exactely round with the disc sander but it takes very good scroll sawing skills (which I don't have) and a lot of patience (which I don't have as well). I like the idea about plugging the original hole and make a new one. I am also thinking about using the router instead of the disc sander to make the wheels round. But as the wheels are only small I want to have a safe solution before I will try it.

Do you have pictures of the lathe chuck? Sounds like a great idea to me.

- Miriam -

Reply with quote  #4 
One more tip gents, after you glue one wheel on to an axle, apply a generous dap of paste wax to the center of the axle, before you insert it in the chassis. Your toy will feel like it has bearings.
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the wax tip. I will definitely try it as my cars' wheels do not turn freely. When I use a 6 mm axle for instance, I drill my axle holes 6.5 mm in the chassis. Even then the wheels do not turn as freely as I would like them to turn. I found that dowel sticks diameter varies from supplier and neither are these dowel sticks perfectly round.

Regards

Dolf
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.