You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $2 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Team,

The shots below are for your review and comments. This design is not completed and will have a lot more detail including rocket engines, surface details and weapons. What I wanted to show you is the materials I am planning on using in this set of Sci-Fi toy plans.

The wings and nose blade are both standard 1/8" thick aluminum. It is very easy to work with and the plans will include how to saw aluminum on a table, band or scroll saw. It has been brushed with 80 grit sandpaper then wiped with a dark stain which penetrates the scratches. I then wipe off as much stain as possible and spray on a couple of coats of clear gloss poly. The body parts are MDF which has been primed with gray primer 2 coats sanding each with 200 or higher grit paper. The final black and red coats are metal flake Rustoleum.

I will be posting the all wood version as soon as I finish the addition of all the parts. I am developing 3 different Galaxi-ADI's for a release in early Summer this year. I appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

Scene 003 Galaxi-ADI A-Wing Raptor.pngScene 001 Galaxi-ADI A-Wing Raptor.pngScene 002 Galaxi-ADI A-Wing Raptor.png

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This proto is a little further along. The three tube jets are painted PVC pipe. It works very well with all woodworking techniques.

Scene 004 Galaxi-ADI A-Wing Raptor.png  Scene 005 Galaxi-ADI A-Wing Raptor.png 

harry

Reply with quote  #3 
Not sure about aluminum with smaller kids John, plans do look good
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the feedback. I understand your concern and Cynthia agrees with you. The featured toys in the plan set are all wood. The aluminum is an alternate. That said, I have found that the aluminum is very safe when edges have a soft radius. It is lighter and stronger than wood and there is no splintering.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
The PVC and aluminum really have my attention.

Aluminum can be buffed to a mirror finish that should add something a little different a toy. 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks - I will try the buffed finish. Good idea!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi - I like the aluminum and pvc ideas, those pieces on planes tend to break the most.   - what kind of glue did you use to adhere the wood to the aluminum wings and the pvc pipes to the wood? 
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
You ask an important question. The aluminum wing is clamped tightly between two pieces of glued MDF. Holes are then drilled through the bottom MDF through the wings into the top MDF. Wood dowels are glued into the holes making it impossible to remove the wing. The nose blade is glued into a slot in the fuselage using super glue. The PVC tubes are glued in place the same way. It makes a really tough toy! The wing top details are also super glued but you need to glue a large surface area for best results.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
This is the all-wood version of the Sci-Fi prototypes. Both the composite and all-wood versions will be included in the plan set. There will also be a couple of more vehicles. Your critiques are priceless to me as I develop new designs so feel free to commen Scene 006 Wood Raptor.png  Scene 005 Wood Raptor.png  Scene 002 Wood Raptor.pngScene 003 Wood Raptor.png  Scene 004 Wood Raptor.png
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
Another view of the wood prototype for the Galaxi-ADI Raptor. Scene 007 Wood Raptor.png 
harry

Reply with quote  #11 
Really like the final version John
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #12 
These are very rough and quick sketches of companion fighters 2 and 3 that I am working on. The actuals are pretty simple to build and about 10" long. This is just an FYI.

galaxi falcon2.png 
galaxi falcon1.png

harry

Reply with quote  #13 
Really nice concept John
CalumetWoodworks

Reply with quote  #14 
I think the use of alternate materials is an excellent idea!  If sanded and finished properly, these would be perfectly fine for kids to play with (maybe not toddlers or kids who are still try to chew the world apart).  I REALLY like all of the ship shapes (ha ha, totally unintentional).  I cant wait to add these plans to my library!
AES

Reply with quote  #15 
VERY interesting ideas here John, and I'm especially impressed with your way of finishing those ali wings! Great! (And someone's idea about buffing to high gloss is great too -provided the gloss is then protected against tarnish - varnish of some sort perhaps?).

I'm NOT a parent, and do NOT make toys for sale, but I think there MAY be 2 disadvantages to these ideas:

1. From what I've seen of little children, EVERYTHING from garden worms to tonight's supper - and everything in between - ends up in their mouths sooner or later! Not sure how parents will react to the idea of either aluminium or plastic pipe in their children's mouths?

2. From reading here it seems that a number of "professional" sellers make a big point of their toys being "100% real wood". And why not? I think a lot of parents are fed up with buying cheap and nasty Chinese plastic toys which generally last all of 5 minutes! AND with all the "anti plastic" talk these days ("Blue Planet" and so forth) parents MAY be put off plastics. But with these toys, sellers have lost their "100% real wood" USP. I think it's no coincidence that here anyway, the cheap supermarkets now often have "hand-made" wooden toys for sale (at ridiculously low prices BTW).

OTOH, other parents may well like the multi-materials idea, and personally I find both the design and the multi-materials very interesting and very nicely handled indeed.

In short? "I dunno - but"!

(No help at all was I?) Sorry ;-) 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us