Author   Comment  
GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello I just need to talk at someone . Since a long time i have a table saw ,a wood surface planer , a press drill . I was atracted by wood toy for my grand son and dauther ,i buy a scrool saw , sander and i srart with beautiful plans toy plans on Toymaker .I have a criticaly problem I am not able to make a strait cut with the scroll saw in 3/4 inch wood. I now the problem its me [frown].
KenFM

Reply with quote  #2 
GentleGiant
Type into Google (cutting straight lines using a scroll saw) and you will get the answers you require
Ken
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
GentleGiant

If you are new to scroll sawing you will face the challenges we have all faced when we start with the scroll saw, blade not cutting straight.

If you are new I recommend the book below. it really helped me.
One book I started with was "Scroll Saw Workbook" by John A. Nelson.  He explains the basics and gives you all kinds of lessons to help get used to using your saw, and how to make different cuts. The biggest piece of advice he will give you before every lesson, is to relax.  The tensor we get in our hands and arms the more trouble you will have cutting straight.  By relaxing, you won't be putting uneven pressure on the blade, which will cause uneven cuts.

First, you must remember that the blade is ALWAYS going to veer to the right (coming toward you), this is because most blade are stamped, causing a little burr on the right side of the blade. Knowing this you will always be steering left to follow the line.
PGB's are better and do not have much of a burr on them.
When you first start out cutting 3/4" you might want to start with a bigger blade, like a #7 or a #9 until you get used to how they cut.  Most times, depending on the wood and the speed you are running your saw, you will be able to cut a 3/4" piece with a good #5.  On pine and redwood you can even go smaller.

Other things that will cause the blade to deflect or not cut straight, would be the tension on the blade, and/or the rate/or speed you are pushing the wood into the blade.
While getting used to cutting you can also run the blade at a slower speed, just remember to go really slow.

If you do a search here on the Forum for Scroll Saw you will find lots of good information, and there is an article in the Wood Toy Workshop about picking the right blades.

Hope something here helps a little.
Any questions feel free to ask.

GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank You for your help .Parallel arm saw did realy make the difference ?
                                                                                                 GentleGiant
GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #5 
I buy (Scroll Saw Workbook" by John A. Nelson ) on Amazon and i read on Google and i Watch on YouTube It is very interesting ,now i start to practice.
                                                            GentleGiant
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #6 
GentleGiant
   You will be surprised how quickly you improve.  Good for you.  Pretty soon you will be cutting masterpieces, and we will be looking forward to seeing them.
   Any questions feel free to ask.  The forum is so full of answers you will be amazed.
After you have done most or all the exercises in the book, start on something simple like the free play pal plan set, that set is easy and quick and you can easily test your new skills.
    I am excited about your new journey into the scroll saw world.

SteveK

Reply with quote  #7 
The answers and suggestions are great. Especially the book.
I would add, relax and practice and slow down.
Also, think about the process, you are moving the wood not the blade.
The blade stays still (except up and down of course) I think of feeding my line into the blade. It has helped me. Been scrolling for years, now new to toys.
Steve (DW-778)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.