Author   Comment  
oldmanserres

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!
I want to make a portable cabinet on which I will place my scroll saw. Before I make it, I would like to know if there is a perfect height where the working plate should be placed. I mean, is there a position for our body that is the best to work or it depends on the woodworker himself?
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
oldmanserres - Roly (Phantom Scroller) gave some great advice. Height really depends on whether you are one who stands or prefers to sit while scroll sawing. Tilting the saw forward makes a lot of sense, might make it easier to view the cut lines. In Roly's shop photo I see the use of a great shop light.
Looking forward to seeing photos of your custom stand, I'm sure other members just might be inspired to make one for themselves also.
oldmanserres

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi again!

Thanks to both of you Roly and Udie for the helpful advice! I was thinking, too, that it might be up to each scrollsawer's needs, but it's always better to ask a more experienced person to be 100% sure.
Roly, I have recently bought the EX-16 and this is the scroll saw that will stand proud on my new 'furniture'! [wink] I like the stable Dexion solution, but I have a major space problem in my shop, so I prefer the cabinet on wheels. It will be equiped with 3 drawers that will provide enough space for me to store things. Also, the four wheels underneath will allow me to move it around my workshop.

Thank you, once more and, Udie, be sure I'll send my photos when it's ready.

Have a nice week!

Vasilis.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #4 
Vasilis sounds good to me with locking wheels or you'll be chasing it around the shop, lol
I have a portable cleaner that pushes into to vent outlet on the side of the scrollsaw to suck away the dust and half face mask as well, I look forward to seeing a picture of the finished job.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a separate free standing tablesaw on the other side of the workshop and all I can say is I have the saw attachment for the triton don't use it and the jigsaw attachment don't use it and if I had another router table believe me I would use it. The router table is a pain difficult to adjust the router and change the cutters but it's there so I use it. I have so much kit no room for me. lol So answer I wouldn't bother get a proper router table only my choice other might thing there great.

oldmanserres

Reply with quote  #6 

20140803_221604 (Large).jpg 20140803_221645 (Large).jpg 20140803_221738 (Large).jpg 20140803_221753 (Large).jpg 20140803_221832 (Large).jpg 20140803_221850 (Large).jpg 20140803_221948 (Large).jpg 20140803_222043 (Large).jpg 20140803_222317 (Large).jpg 20140803_222344 (Large).jpg

Hi!

I have almost finished it... A few edge banding needed (I have to buy an iron, first) and decide the type of the table top. I have some ideas about it, such as a tilting top that may be adjusted with some type of hinges. If someone has any idea for it, please don't hesitate to share it.  [wink]

I have placed five wheels underneath and the front two have brakes as Phantom Scroller mentioned. Thanks dude!

The two drawers are just as shallow as needed, so that I may place stuff related to the scroll saw such as blades, wrenches, pencils, TOYMAKING PLANS and more!!!

I hope you like it, I really enjoyed the process of its "creation".

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #7 
You've done a good job on that one but I've noticed the saw isn't bolted down, so it will be interesting if it stays put even though the EX21 has little vibration. Keep and eye on it. Stay Safe.

oldmanserres

Reply with quote  #8 

Roly, I have not completed it, yet and this is what I meant when I talked about the type of the table top.

I imagine a top on which the scroll saw will be bolted, of course, and this top will be tiltable to the front, but this needs precision and I'll do it slowly. The one you see at the photos is not permanent, not even fixed.

Maybe later I 'll draw an image of what I am thinking of and post ot here.

Thanks for the concern, Roly! [smile]
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #9 
I for one would love to see the drawn image of your table top.
You look like a master builder to me.
Can't wait to see more of your toys here.

Udie

Reply with quote  #10 
oldmanserres - Great looking dedicated scroll saw station. Adding the locking wheels is an excellent idea. Looking forward to seeing your ideas for the tilting capabilities.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #11 
I was wondering if this is a saw that you will use standing up or sitting down. Another thing I like is a place to put your finished parts such as a shelf under the saw or maybe a fold out top on either side of the saw. One shelf is for the parts waiting to be cut and the other side is for the parts that are finished. - Don
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #12 
Oldmanserres I look forward to seeing the drawing and the finished product, I know you will love the saw it's my baby in my workshop and I'm always cleaning it and spraying it, my wife thinks I love it more than her.
um that's a hard one. lol

oldmanserres

Reply with quote  #13 
A big "HI!" to everyone!

First of all, thanks to everybody for your concern for my project. I didn't expect such a feedback and this gives me more courage to continue!

Don,
You have many points here.
The structure is not that high, so I 'll be scroll-sawing sitting on a short plastic stool I already have (maybe I 'll make a wooden one someday). This is convenient for me and that's the first good point. I used the saw and I found the height ideal for my body.
You also mentioned two folding tops on both sides that is an excellent idea I had never thought of. It seems easy to be made with a pair of hinges and some magnets, maybe, and now I 'll have to draw more sketches...  [smile]
Finally, the dust exctractor is also a great feature I should build. For the time being, I 'll have to complete the scroll saw station (thanks Udie for the term!) and then I 'll try to make this exctractor that will be very useful.
Thank you for your useful advice!

Roly,
I loved this machine (or baby) before I bought it! I feel your passion for it, although our wives think we are crazy... [wink] Before the Excalibur, I used two entry-level scroll saws that left me with lot of pain and frustration, so with the EX-16 I feel like I walked on the moon! As a reward for it, I made this cabinet to be its throne! [thumb]

Thanks again to all of you for your interest. I 'll be back with some designs...

Vasilis.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.