Author   Comment  
hchavezjr

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to all,
A few months ago, after almost a year of bugging him, John sent me a set of plans that were almost ready for publishing to the site for testing out of a Sherman Tank.
He asked me to review and try building it and see if there was anything still missing for the plans.
I have to say they were spectacular, as you can see from the resulting pictures of my tank.
IMG_2682.JPG 
The types of wood I used in the construction:
Spalted Maple for the main body parts, cut from a tree in my yard a year ago.
Aromatic Cedar
Oak
Yellow Heart
Wengi
Bloodwood
Padeuk
Afrormosia

IMG_2687.JPG  I made some slight modifications and additions to my piece after reviewing the plans and looking at dozens of Sherman Tank pictures on the internet.
The main addition is the gear on the front of the tread - very noticeable on the actual tank.
I also added a small machine gun coming out of the lower front of the tank.
on the treads I added the extra small wheels along the top to make it look more supported. The wheels were purchased pieces which were baked to get the dark color.
I then moved the upper machine gun from the planned location over the top access port to the rear of the turret.

IMG_2688.JPG 
I hope you all like this. The plans are great and would give anyone some opportunity to learn new techniques and come away with a fun and rewarding piece.
Lastly, the piece is not small, measuring over 13" long and over 7" high.
Cheers to all and keep making sawdust!

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for posting this magnificent piece of craftsmanship. And thanks again for taking the time to add more realistic details to the design. These will be added to the plan set before we launch. We want the plans to look exactly like your prototype.

I am impressed with your choice of woods and the finishes. This is truly an heirloom that will be treasured for many generations.
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #3 
That is a great tank well built maybe a future build when the plans are available

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice.  I like the contrasting wood selections.
Cindy
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
That looks really good.
What kinda time did you put into this bad boy ... just surious

Reply with quote  #6 
Looks great will be a great project, can't wait.

George
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.