Author   Comment  
Udie

Reply with quote  #1 

Shop Remote Control (3-Button)
In some of my videos and photos in the accompanying articles you may have seen a 3-button device I use to turn on/off some shop equipment. Usually my dust control system and drill press.
I have received many e-mails from members requesting what the device is.

It is no shop secret … it is an “Indoor/Wireless 3-Pack Dual Outlet Remote Control Set”.
The little 3-button, battery operated, remote control has the ability to transmit to three (3) independent control units. One transmitter operates all three (3) receiver units.
The remote controls range is up to 80 feet.
1 Pkg Photo.jpg 
3 Devices.jpg  

Each receiver unit can support two (2) electronic devices and this kit comes with three (3) receiver units with two (2) AC plugs in each unit.
That means you can control up to six (6) devices.

But first let me back track a little.
This remote control set is primarily to be used for indoor lighting, such table lamps, fans, things of that caliber. Basically, light current drawing systems, 60 Watt and 100 Watt light bulbs.

Tool stores would like to sell you a receiver and remote for around $60.00 to $80.00 each.
Specifically designed to support large current drawing devices.
What that means is, when heavy shop equipment turns on, it draws more current, that is commonly known as surge current during power up. That is why sometimes your shop lights dim for a microsecond when you turn on the table saw. Then once the machine has reached its normal operating speed the current drawn drops down to a lower value. It can be increased if the equipment is being stressed, like a table saw when you try to feed thick wood thru the blade too fast. Sometimes you may experience tripping the fuse or circuit breaker, you have exceeded the current draw safety device, the fuse or circuit breaker.

Usually simple, low cost, indoor remotes have a current rating much lower than 15 Amps.
I have seen 6 Amp and 10 Amp units.

I purchased this kit because the package says it can handle devices operating on 120VAC and up to a 15 Amp current draw. More than enough capabilities for my shop dust collection system and drill press surge and steady state current requirements.

Best of all, it only cost $20.00 CDN and I can control three (3) devices which are farther then arms reach in my shop.

I would not dream of using this device to control the on/off function of my more industrial size equipment such as the table saw, router station, chop saw, etc.

So, now you know what the little 3-buttin thing is.

Happy Toy Making
Udie

garywisbey

Reply with quote  #2 
thts good info there udie i picked up something very like yours i think it was about £20.00 my set gave you 1 remote and 3 switches that plug into a uk mains outlet like you i use it for the dust control they say there good for 13a @ 230vac. if you like i will take a pic and find the part number if any one else is after a unit like that.

Gary
Sounds like a good idea, post a photo and tell us where you bought it.
You could edit this post and add the info here.
That will help our UK toy makers who are interested a lot - thanks.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
For fellow Aussies these (or something very close) are available from DealsDirect and have one remote switch that operates up to four sockets. I use them in my toyworkshop along with some 'customised' switches for my dust extractors [thumb]

Doc - These look like a perfect solution for low current shop equipment. Thanks for posting. - Udie.

Reply with quote  #4 
a bit of a update better late then never for uk toy makers after some like udie these are the units that i use they are made by mercury stock code 350-114 and came from tlc they come in a pack of 5units they do come in smaller packs and i think they wear about £20-£25 pounds and seem to work well have used them for about 2 years now with no faults.plug back and front.JPG 

Reply with quote  #5 
forgot the pic of the  radio controlP1010487.JPG 

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.