Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
daraldf

Reply with quote  #1 
I want to start signing and dating my projects. I tried a sharpie and it was a mess. Any suggestions?
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi daraldf,

You should consider ordering a custom wood branding iron. If you do a Search on Etsy.com there are some shops that sell custom branding irons for a very reasonable price.

Cynthia
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Sharpies work well on painted surfaces, polyurethane, and shellac. They don't work well with bare wood. I've not tried them on oil finishes, but I bet that they don't work well. Branding irons are good for bare wood but, on a painted surface you could damage the paint. I have been experimenting with rubber stamps. They make ink that will stick to pretty much any surface. Custom rubber stamps are easy to find and cheap.  If you want to use your signature they can make that for you.

The next step up is a laser engraver. Not cheap and has a steep learning curve.

Here is one of my cars with a rubber stamp on the bottom.

20181129-144311 Handmade Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod 1927 T-Coupe From th.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
That's so cool, BadBob! I love the rubber stamp. Your logo is wonderful. Do you have to wait long for the ink to dry?

Cynthia
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia lewman
That's so cool, BadBob! I love the rubber stamp. Your logo is wonderful. Do you have to wait long for the ink to dry?

Cynthia

The ink dries very quickly.  StazOn is what I use. Use on plastic, metal, glass, photography, leather & ceramics. It comes in many colors.

Although my stamp is quite small, it is still too large for some toys. The stamps are very low cost. Mine was $6.95.  The ink cost more than the stamp. It takes a bit of practice to get used to it.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Peter V

Reply with quote  #6 
and using sticky letters? Available in all types and sizes. I
use those and put a layer of clear varnish over it.

Avery zweckform 3784 A-Z etiketten zwart groot

Peter V
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
If I might add my 2 cents here. If you have access to a laser engraver you can make small disc's that you can drop into a hole cut with a small forstner bit. You use something like 1/8th in wood, draft a nice little logo and away you go.
Of course laser engraver are quite expensive...But you might have access to one right at your local library. I have one over in a nearby county. They have what they call "Maker Space" where you can do all sorts of crafts. You just check out a time slot just like checking a book out.

Ours have a laser cutter big nice one, a CNC machine and a host of other tools including access to all the software you need to create your files for said machines... They even have 3d printers (like 4 or 5 of them )

So you might look into those sort of things. They are available for use after a couple of hours training sessions. An of course you have to be a member of the library. So especially here in the US you guy's might look into that. 
Also you might use a Dremel tool to hand engrave then fill in with black or white paint ( a pain in the butt if you have a lot to do)
I actually ordered some of the disc's for me as I wanted them in hand for some quick projects. The guy is very reasonable. I ordered 2 sheets laser cut and ready for use...

Anyway sorry for the random jawing, just thought the library might be a good source ( Oh an the good thing is you bring your own approved materials and the usage is free)

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm with Bad Bob  also bought me a rubber stamp and it works great. I stamp then clear coat over it . like Bob said the ink pad cost more the stamp. I think it was about $18. total.

Reply with quote  #9 
If you want to put a wood burn looking mark on RAW or UNPAINTED wood you can try-
Ammonium Chloride.
I have not done this myself and it is NOT a new technique. I saw it online on YouTube and other home craft sites.
Just Google "wood burning without a branding iron" or "ammonium chloride wood burning".

In a nut shell you add a tablespoon of the Ammonium Chloride crystals (available at Walmart order online. 1 LB bag for $8.99 Ammonium Chloride - NH4Cl) and mix with some water (like 1/2 a cup).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ammonium-Chloride-NH4Cl-26-0-0-Fertilizer-1-Pound/460545130

Mix well and use a paint brush to draw on your test wood or use a rubber stamp and press the stamp onto the wood. Then use a heat gun (hot air gun) and the image you just painted/stamped reacts with the hot air to chemically burn the raw wood. It really is "chemical" wood burning without the hot iron.

Is a real branding iron sharper? Yes, but very very costly and one size only.. The chemical burn allows you choices to paintbrush or stamp etc and get a beautiful look. You are not locked into only one size branding iron stamp, you can make many different size rubber stamps and pick what size suits your toy best. Round, square, large, small etc for low cost.

Please be mindful to always work with chemicals in a ventilated area, goggles, I'd wear a pair of those thin disposable gloves also. Remember it is a chemical burn reacting to the hot air, so the chemical is gone once burned, good for toy cars and such but i would never suggest using a chemical burn on a babies teether toy, keep those unpainted and no chemicals.

Where i saw this online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=91&v=3K4J7yn7ga0&ab_channel=LauraKampf
the photo below was just a low res screen capture off her video on YouTube.
her round stamp was about 1 inch and she just poured the liquid into a blank stamp pad.

and-  https://www.unoriginalmom.com/wood-burning-with-ammonium-chloride/
rubber stamp chem burn.jpg 

Schins

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi BadBob
Could you tell me who you order your stamp from?
Thanks
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schins
Hi BadBob
Could you tell me who you order your stamp from?
Thanks

rubberstamps.net

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Schins

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Bob
Lexie

Reply with quote  #13 
I just ordered 4 different stamps at RubberStampChamp.com
I think hand stamp prices start at 3.99 on sale, those may not include your logo, but the 4.99 ones will (address stamps).

Hand stamps with wood handles:
All of them allowed me to upload my custom logo.
I chose small stamps for my name and logo to be small but readable on the back or bottom of my toys.

The prices range on the size of the stamp and how many lines, and all have my custom logo.
I ordered 2 return address size stamps:
1/2 in x 2 in for 6.99 (2 lines with logo)
3/4 in x 2 in for 8.75 (4 lines with logo)

And ordered 2 "arty" shaped stamps
a perfect square shaped 3/4 x 3/4 in with 2 lines and my logo for 5.99
a perfect circle shaped 3/4 inch with 2 lines and my logo for 12.50

Just be sure if making tiny stamps like i ordered that your FONT is very plain, to make it easily readable. Larger stamps you can choose more ornate FONTS, but on tiny stamps..because the letters are teeny you really need to keep the font easily readable.

I will photo the stamps when they send them to me, but i do not expect them to arrive in less than a week-10 days.

Lexie

Reply with quote  #14 
Also for Image Transfers, for use to make signs or a custom order. Good for text or photos, i found a great video on YouTube for LASER print xfers, does NOT work for ink jet prints.
The samples were black ink, but i assume color LASER prints will work also.

My favorite choice is the ACETONE image..it is instant, no wait, complete your xfer in less than 5 minutes.
It is more rustic..meaning some of the wood shows thru the image, which i like.

My 2nd favorite is the POLYCRYLIC xfer. Very crisp and rich black image, takes longer to do than the acetone xfer.
IMAGE XFER.jpg 

Schins

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks Lexie - great info
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.