Author   Comment  
Frankg

Reply with quote  #1 
Just trying to get some ideas. Anyone have similar issues? I have a pile of small wood pieces left over from my projects. I will toss them in a bag or a box but they get filled up so fast and the problem is I hate to toss the stuff because "I might need it some day on some project." How do you deal with this? Do you hoard or do you just do a "close your eyes" and do a cleansing to the trash bin?
     I think I might use this stuff for small projects, but that hasn't happened yet. Just curious to see what others do.

Reply with quote  #2 
I keep them  . It saves having to cut a nice piece of timber just for a small piece you want for model making . There is all sorts of things that you can do ...... if you have a lathe you can glue different ones together and make a mosaic plate /bowl /box .  Let your imagination run wild . Douglas
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Frank
I am assuming you are talking about pieces to small to make Play Pals out of.
When I am cutting projects I have two boxes of waste.
One is for scrap that I think I can cut something else out of, like a Play Pal, and the other is for Firewood.
The Firewood box is small enough to fit into the fireplace, and when Susie is cold, box and all goes in.
That way I think I am doing good with the waste.[smile]

PawPawRay

Reply with quote  #4 
You make as many little cars as you have time and if you don't want to try to sell them you find a homeless shelter that takes women with children and donate them for the kids to play with.
osman123

Reply with quote  #5 
Try having a go at some intarsia, you'll soon learn not to throw anything away. I save most of my small offcuts until October/November, then start making my usual xmas tree descorations which are always in demand by the time xmas arrives.

Reply with quote  #6 
Most of my scrap 3/4" which I use to make small cars which I take with me to give away at restaurants to servers and various others whom I come I contact with from day to day. Like you. the wood piles up and eventually gets tossed.  Also I make small pendants on the scroll saw with oak or walnut scraps and finish them with Danish oil. Also I make small crosses.  Yesterday I gave one to a friend whose wife just died.  He couldn't believe how nice it was and said "how do you do that"?  Most people have never heard of a scroll saw. m My wife says I could get $100 for these but I just can't bring myself to do that on a regular basis. Same way with small toys.
Hambone

Hambone
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
Frankg - Good question about a difficult problem. Yep, got a couple of scrap bins, one for large pieces, one for small pieces and one for maple/oak/poplar and one for plywood etc. and then there are the stacks of cut-offs. Pretty hard to select what goes and what stays. Tried the concept of, when the box is full, if I put a new piece in, take one piece out and throw it away ... well that did not work. So now I purge sort of, I put the wood into another box which I can burn and that box is full too. I guess I am a wood hoarder, it is just so hard to throw away a piece of wood that you just might need in the future. So, sorry my friend, I just do not have an answer for you.
banderson

Reply with quote  #8 
I have three buckets.  When they get full I take a day and cut them into smaller pieces, toy block size.  There will be some dowel and angled cuts and just a random assortment of shapes and sizes.  Then all the edges and corners get sanded smooth on a belt sander. I put a coat of mineral oil on each piece.  The blocks get put in a box and given away.  Kids really don't care that blocks make something special.  They make something special out of the blocks.  This is only done with solid virgin lumber.  If it has stain or reclaimed lumber, it gets burned.  Here is the post I did on it, sorry the contest is complete.

I also use the small pieces (too small for blocks) of oak, hickory, and maple in my barbeque.  They make great smoking chips.

Plywood that I cannot use gets thrown out.
Udie

Reply with quote  #9 
Banderson - That's a great idea, turning them into blocks. Put a nice coat of Cynthia's' Bee's was on them an you are done. Thanks I'll have to remember to do as you suggested.
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #10 
Once a year I do a sacrifice into the fire. Makes me cry!
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #11 
Yeah, we all have these piles. I have some people who come regularly and take it as kindling for their wood burning stove (their primary source of heat).

Anything longer than 10", no matter how thin, can be laminated together to make a new board. Kind of like vertical plywood.....I use anything thinner than 1/4" for stir sticks etc. Corners that are bigger than 1" dia get used for wheels, basically anything that gets tossed really can't be used for anything else....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.