Author   Comment  
Udie

Reply with quote  #1 
Small Wheels - Make your own on the Table Saw
I have received quite a few e-mails and PM's (Personal Messages) requesting "Is there a way to make quality small wheels quickly?" The answer is 'yes there is'. In my reply e-mails I direct our members to the two (2) following locations.

One place to look is on ToymakingPlans.com home page. Click on the "Wood Toy Workshop" tab and search for the article titled "How to Make Perfect Small (under 3") Wheels for Wood Toys". I have made the article title a link to the article for your convenience. The method described shows you how to use a hole saw and then using a nut, bold and a drill sand them yielding a quality wheel.

The second place to look is a reply post to 'Ceefa's' original post dated 02/24/14  titled Small Wheels. Here Ceefa discussed the cost of wheels, additional costs of shipping/handling and currency exchange making the purchase unreasonable.  Forum member 'islandtrader' posted a method of making small wheels using a hole saw and the table saw.
   After a few private e-mails between 'islandtrader' and myself, I posted the method with a series of photos and text.
   To make our members/guests lives easier, I have duplicated my post and created this new post for easy future direction as well as providing the procedure as a downloadable PDF as I have been requested many times for.
   Here is a summary photo showing the tools used and the results.
10 Results.jpg 
As requested, here is the downloadable PDF of the method.
pdf Small Wheels - Make your own on the Table Saw.pdf     

Happy Toy Making - Small Wheels
Imants Udris (Udie)
<<<<<     >>>>>

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank You Udie
This is a really great post.  Easy to follow and the downloadable PDF will go into my "How To Udie File".
Thanks again.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #3 
Udie a very good PDF instruction I have used this method which is good if you want a certain thickness for wheels. Thanks for sharing.

Roly (phantom scroller) - Thanks for the compliment. I think a lot of members will really find it easy to make a batch of wheels this way for various sizes - Udie

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #4 
Combine this with badbob's idea of using a different sized hole saw to add some detail to the face of the wheels and you could do just about any number of different styles quickly and easily.....
jbowie

Reply with quote  #5 
This is an old thread I know, but really helpful to someone like me just starting with toys. One question though, how do you achieve the correct axle hole diameter centered consistently? In the .pdf, the desired hole diameter is 1/4". Is the hole saw pilot bit simply 1/4" to start with or is the original pilot hole redrilled at 1/4"? If it is redrilled, I guess it would make more sense to do it prior to cutting the wheels away on the table saw so you are dealing with a block of wood rather than small hard to handle wheels? Thanks in advance,

-- James Bowie
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
jbowie (James)

You are absolutely correct about the size of the pilot hole drill bit size.

Most of the arbor drill bits are 1/4" in diameter.
That being said, I have had some which were 15/64" and even some which were 7/32".
Smaller pilot holes drill can be easily re-drilled if necessary.

jbowie

Reply with quote  #7 
Perfect Udie, thanks for the quick reply and thanks again for putting together the write up. I tried this method today and it works like a charm!

-- James
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.