Author   Comment  
Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #1 
Yesterday I sold my first toy! I joined a craft market together with a friend who makes all kinds of ceramic figures. My toys were on the same stand and I hadn't expected to really sell something. The question I had was what kind of wooden toys people buy these days. Do they prefer the cheaper 'Easy fleet' toys or the more expensive toys made of massive wood. I think the answer is that people here in the Netherlands who buy wooden toys, prefer quality above price. The toy I sold yesterday was the most expensive one I had.

I don't make toys to earn money as I have a full time job. But of course it is very nice if people want to pay for what I have made. I will not make large amounts of toys but just some pieces of each plan. Keep up your good work, John! It sells in Europe too!

This is the truck I sold.
Real wood dump truck.jpg 

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Congratulations Miriam,

Thanks for sharing! We would love to see more photos and videos of your methods and tools. Your wood toy dump truck is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and color. I remember when I sold my first toy and it was a dump truck back in 1969. I have found that what I thought were high prices for my hand-made toys weren't really as high as some modern plastic toys that fill the store shelves.

I saw a 6" plastic dump truck in a big retail store yesterday for $29 USD and tiny Star Wars characters for $20 USD each. In comparison, a hand-crafted work of art like yours is worth much more than that. Trucks like yours sell quickly at $49-89 USD at quality craft shows and gift shops in my area. And with a little planning if a toymaker makes several at a time it can be very profitable.
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Congratulations Miriam! I can see why you had no problem selling your ReallyWood San Diego Dump Truck for top dollar! Yours is one fine example of top quality craftsmanship. I'm glad you saved a photo to share with us before your truck went to a new home!
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #4 
Fantastic job, hope you got loads of money for it. [thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Bucko

Reply with quote  #5 
Well done on your sale, very impressive truck indeed.
Greg

Reply with quote  #6 
And now you are hooked   :-)

Tony

Reply with quote  #7 
Very nice job on the truck, goes to show that quality will sell.
Tony

Reply with quote  #8 
The various woods on this truck make it a beauty.  Congrats on your sale.  [thumb]
Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you for your replies

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi, Miriam
Let me start by saying what you have been hearing here on the forum....you did an outstanding job on your dump truck.
I have been doing craft shows for a long time.  I started as a wood turner showing my work.  People would walk into my booth and admire my wares, and give high praise for what I had done, and then turn around and walk out.
My wife and I started an embroidery business about 4 years ago and we had the same experiences with our embroidered items.  Makes all your efforts seem wasted at times.  You want to say "If you like it so much, why don't you buy it?"  Of course you can't say that, but you sure can think it along with some other not so flattering thoughts.
In December of last year, I started showing and selling my wooden cars and trucks.  I still received the same compliments, but people left our booth with items that they had purchased.  Of course, I feel that the toys I put out for sale show the value of the toys.  People will buy wooden toys....and just like everyone else here on the forum...I AM HOOKD!

Toys Without Batteries

Reply with quote  #11 
that's one fine dump truck. It looks like it should standup to some heavy duty play.

Congrats on your first sale and may you have lots more!

Reply with quote  #12 
George,

Are you making a profit at the craft shows?

I looked into it here and it would cost me a lot of money to be in one just to try it out.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.