Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
I do a bit of volunteering at my local Wildlife Trust, a bit of photography, some practical conservation work and, more recently, a bit of woodwork. These are some tray jigsaws I've recently made for the Nature Tots and Wildlife Watch groups at our local reserve.
I use outline drawings found mostly via Pinterest, which I then import into Photoshop and draw in the jigsaw pieces. The resulting patterns are printed on A4 paper on my cheap Samsung mono laser jet printer, which has been brilliant for printing the plans from this site, too.
The jigsaw pieces are then cut from a suitable sheet of timber (mostly cheap cutting boards from my local supermarket, although one or two have been from some nice scrap timber). The frame left from cutting the outline is then glued to a ply backing board, so that the jigsaw can be assembled inside the frame.
Some have been more challenging than others, but all quite fun to do.
I apply a light stain, using a rag, usually to the jigsaw pieces, to make the picture stand out a little better. Applying the stain to the pieces works best, as it also gives a clue as to which way up the pieces should be!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2007.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 887.47 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2008.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 773.62 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2012.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 1.01 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2015.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 951.00 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2025.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 583.26 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2113.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 476.53 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2158.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 624.12 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2037.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 645.63 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2039.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 966.51 KB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know why people don't make more tray puzzles. When you cut the puzzle out, you have done 90% of the work. My grandson would love the bat.

TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
I have pdf files for all of the puzzles shown here and I'd be more than happy to share, if anyone wants one.

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
That is a worthwhile volunteer project Tom. Nice work!
kstano83

Reply with quote  #5 
I would love to have the files Tom.
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #6 
kstano83, if you email me via this forum or directly on tomdullage@hotmail.com, I'll attach the pdf files to my reply.

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
I don't know why people don't make more tray puzzles. When you cut the puzzle out, you have done 90% of the work. My grandson would love the bat.

Very true, BadBob, getting the outline right is the important bit, then you can do more or less what you like with the pieces of the puzzle. I like to make them interlocking, as much as possible, but for younger children, simple shapes work well.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.