Author   Comment  
kangaroopaws

Reply with quote  #1 
Just thought I would share a couple of my other projects other than toys, the clock is made from Tasmanian Myrtle and New Guinea rosewood, it has west minster chimes, and took about 9 months of spare time to finish. the jigsaw puzzle is my own design made from Radiator pine, large australia puzzle.JPG  my clock.jpg 
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice cuts indeed.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm really liking the Pine and once again I'm reminded I'm missing out on not doing a puzzle. The Clock definitely shows a strong point of " Patience " and an item to be proud of for sure.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, there are some hours and patience put into that clock.

I have been using the Tassie Myrtle and New Guinea Rosewood for a few toys, both very nice to work with.
The New Guinea Rosewood was quite a surprise when I tried it, I thought it would be a lot denser and harder, but it cuts and finishes really well. Beautiful grain variations as well. 

Cheers
Rod T

ctowne

Reply with quote  #5 
That clock is amazing, such an accomplishment.  The puzzle is so cute with that kangaroo in the middle.  The wood you use is beautiful. 
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow very nice.

Reply with quote  #7 
The clock and the puzzle are both wonderful pieces of work. They both show your skill with the scroll saw. Keep up the great work.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #8 
Wow on the clock. I can't even imagine working on that. I'm doing a scroll saw wreath and it's a pain in the back for sure and it ain't no where as intricate as your clock...

Thanks for sharing these with the forum

Reply with quote  #9 
thanks for the kind comments everyone, I use pine a lot as is cheap, and is easy to get hold of, but I do get sick of pine most of the time,  I find it hard to get it to take a dye as it quite often goes blotchy.
though am making jeep wrangler using English elm that we have milled for our selves it is very good to cut.we have had it for a couple of years to give it time to dry out
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #10 
I'm sure you have already tried this but,
minwax makes a pre-stain finish that you put on pine and other woods that don't take stain very well. I have used it to good effect. I forget the exact name but has worked well for me. Of course it's another step in the process but might be worth a look if you haven't used it before....

Reply with quote  #11 
Ed,
thanks for the info, now to see if I can get something here is Australia
rob
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi kangaroopaws. I was in Masters the other day and noticed that they carry some of the Minwax range. With the stores closing down you might get a bargain if there's a store near you.

Reply with quote  #13 
thanks Rosiejane, I live quite away from any masters stores but now that I know that you can get in Australia, I will have a look when next in town, I live out in the country and not often in town, but something to look for as would be great if I can get them
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #14 
Its called pre-stain conditioner, and it works very well on pine and other woods that can be a bit oily or just pale in color. I live in the US in the Chicago area, you can get Minwax pre-stain conditioner just about anywhere.
Jeremy

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.