Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I did a lot of searching trying to locate some definitive answers to painting with acrylics and weather conditions. I didn't find much. Most were along the lines of don't paint in the rain and don't paint in the sun light. I did find some good info mostly gleaned from forum where professional house painters hang out and from company web sites.

Don't Paint when the dew point is within 5 degrees of air temperature.  The paint will not cure properly and the chance of runs and sags will be very high.  Cure times will be lengthened.

I don't know how you are going to get the dew point without some sort of instrument. I have a personal weather station so I just need to look.

Another way to look at this is don't paint when the humidity is high. It's an over simplification but it beats nothing. I have a previous post here somewhere about some paint that would not cure right. This is probably what caused the problem. The paint finally did cure after it sat in the garage for a few weeks. 

Don't paint in direct sunlight. This should be obvious if you know anything about sunlight and surface temperatures. At midday on a sunny summer day I have see the surface of the soil in my garden in excess of 140 degrees. Some surfaces are even higher temperatures. You can check this with one of those laser thermometers. The paint will cure much to fast and will not flow out properly. Bonding and durability will also be affected. No shiney smooth paint jobs for you.

Don't paint if the temperature is below 50 degrees F. This is a durability and curing time issue. Paint that is applied at low temperatures do not bond as well. The colder it gets the worse the problem is. Curing times are greatly increased. 

Don't paint at temperatures higher than 90 degrees. This is pretty much the same thing as painting in direct sunlight but less severe. This is one of those unless you have to things. For some of us in the deep south we just are going to have to do it and hope it works out OK.

This of course applies directly to acrylic paint particularly house paint but it is probably applicable as a rule of thumb for most paints. 

There are low humidity limits as well. However, since I live in Florida I'm never going to have that problem. I have some experience with spraying lacquer in dry environments. I've seen days when the paint would dry so fast that all that hit the surface was sticky paint dust. It felt like sand paper. Not what you want on your custom hot rod or restored antique. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.