Author   Comment  
sbhoward

Reply with quote  #1 
I am finishing up the Big John Tractor and trailer and am having trouble with parts 25 and 26.

I need to drill 2 holes through a 3/8" dowel for 2  1/8" dowels to push through.   I am using new bits, and I stay back from the end of the 3/8 dowel when drilling.

If the dowel doesn't split when drilling, it splits when attempting to insert the 1/8" dowel.

Other then sanding down the 1/8 diameter dowel a bit to fit better, is there something I'm missing?

Using a home made drilling jig for the dowel, and new Brad point bits in a drill press.

Thanks for any tips you can share.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
What wood are your dowels made from?

A lot of my local stores sell pine dowels. I don't think pine dowels are suitable for making toys. I would expect them to do the sort of thong you describe. I can't think of anything I would pine dowels for.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

sbhoward

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, BadBob-

I think the dowels are plain old pine dowels.  Got them at the local store.

I have been looking online for hardwood dowels, and wondered if you think Birch are ok? 

The Maple and Oak are pretty pricey.  I mostly paint my projects for the time being.  I haven't tackled the hardwood plain finish style yet.

Thanks for the advice!
Frankg

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm not sure what your project involves but try drilling the hole the next size larger so the smaller dowel will fit it and the glue will hold it in. I do this all the time with wood splitting I just drill it slightly larger. Hope this helps.

Reply with quote  #5 
Birch dowel are what I use.

Dowels are wood and the diameter can vary quite a bit and they are never perfect ly round. A 1/4 inch diameter dowel probably will not fit well in a 1/4 inch hole. I like to measure the dowel with calipers and select a drill bit that is slightly larger than the dowel.

Dry fit (with no glue) everything if its a tight fit once you put glue on the wood it will swell slightly and be tighter. There also needs to be a bit of room for the glue. this is especially true when the holes do not go all the way through. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.