Author   Comment  
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #1 
Just spent the last week making this jig from an article By a member of another site by the name of BigDBigD. I have changed a couple of things but only minor ones.

The Jig with blank made to be able to do any amount of holes up too 24 so any number that can be divided into that amount. I have also stamped numbers on every other hole to aid easy working out

[DSCF5663_zpsidjoawf1]

The blank fitted

[DSCF5664_zps19n86nqf] 
Support bracket fittted and set under the drill press

[DSCF5666_zpsmpywsxcm] 
The result after drilling 12 holes not the best piece of wood to use, but I am happy with the result. 

[DSCF5667_zpsgb1gkac8]

All this just because I want 4 spoked wheels but I am sure it will make a lot more than that

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the photos and info. I am heading out to the shop to make one of these.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #3 
Great idea and good work. Like it.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you both.

Another couple of photo's during construction showing the locking pin assembly.

[DSCF5647_zpsvfx44qc5] 
[DSCF5635_zpsnh7hqtsn]

[DSCF5660_zps7xgujkmn]

Reply with quote  #5 
Very nice,

How do you drill the outside part (rim) of the wheel?

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #6 
how did i make the metal index part. I can think of a couple ways but i suspect my holes would be all over the place[confused]

thanks for sharing...

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you BadBob and Ed.

To do outer rims you can always make the the final diameter and drill then take the centre out. When I do that style of wheel I will do a post on them.

I have produced the first 4 wheels and I am happy with them so all I need to do now is make the truck to fit them too.

They are only 8 spoke wheels.

All 4 wheels which are 2 3/4" diameter.

[DSCF5684-001_zpsov7vv1b9] 
Inner view of 1 wheel all 4 are the same

[DSCF5682-001_zps56ncpnmq]

Reply with quote  #8 
Dalboy,

Thanks for sharing your jig on the forum. I only saw it now and would like to apologise for my late reply. It looks fantastic and I am impressed with the results.

I have been making spoked wheels for some time now and found it very challenging, to say the least! I also made some jigs, but without the indexing mechanism that you have in your jig. This of course lead to the spokes not lining up properly. The other problem that I have is that the wheels that I make are smaller (between 40 to 60 mm in diameter and the spoke diameter is 2 mm. Drilling 2 mm holes in wood I found not to be easy. The 2mm drill flexes a lot and tends to follow the grain.

What is the diameter of the spokes that you use? I would think that thicker drills will flex much less.

Hoping that you see my reply

Regards

Dolf
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Dorf yes I know what you mean about the drill flexing I put the drill in the chuck with as little of the drill bit showing as possible which helps a little with the flexing. I can't remember the diameter of the spkes but will check in the morning when I am in the shed again.

I realized that I had a piece of dowel hand and did not have to go to the shed, anyway the spokes for these wheels are 1/8"

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.