Author   Comment  
Frankg

Reply with quote  #1 
Today this morning my wife and I went to church. On the way I looked at her and said, "I need to stop at the hardware store after church and get a few things." Of course I had to answer all of her probing questions as her fear that the budget would go out of whack when I go to the hardware store. So I told her I need to get a fan, a filter and some duct tape.  I wanted to build a painting booth.

So after the store, came home and I gathered my 22 x 22" spare box from purchased from Home Depot and started on my project. About an hour later the results are in the photos below.
It took me a little longer because the first time I put it together I discovered to my dismay that I installed the fan blowing in the wrong direction!! So I had to undo all the duct tape and do it over. So I would of finished it even sooner!

And I just love it!! The overspray gets sucked into the filter and fumes go out the door.
You can see in the photos I tried it on a couple of Dinosaurs spray priming.

I bought a 20" box fan ($20) (Perfect size for the box I had). I bought a roll of cheap duct tape (less than $5) and a 20 x 20 x 1" cheap furnace filter. (around $3)

You can see from the photos an idea oh how I put it all together. The one photo shows how the air is exiting  the back from the fan with the air filter installed. I did a really quick rig up to hold the filter in place, but once I turned the fan on (high) it gets sucked up against the fan and stays in place. Check that the filter is facing the proper air flow direction.

I got this idea off the internet and for $30 literally, you can build your own painting booth. They suggest $25. I had a box already so that might cost a few extra dollars.

So when the box gets to much use, toss it, get a new box and start over. Easy!!

Hope this will be useful to someone out there ......................[wave]
Dsc07612.jpg  Dsc07611.jpg  Dsc07621.jpg  Dsc07616.jpg  Dsc07615.jpg  Dsc07620.jpg  Dsc07613.jpg  Dsc07622.jpg  DSC07623.JPG

Reply with quote  #2 
Frankg
Perfect [biggrin]. Great paint booth, simple, easy to build and low cost and as you mentioned done in one afternoon.
Placing a small plastic rotating serving platter or even build a "Rotating Painting Table" will allow you to spin your work piece around for complete coverage and after drying allow you to do the bottom.

Frankg

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes Udie that is correct and I meant to mention using your turntable would be a perfect mate! One thing about his is there's plenty of room to work in. One thing also I forgot to mention is that it is good to buy a few extra filters as eventually they will get clogged from the paint. How long of course depends on how much painting you do. I've been using this today and doing a lot of painting and it's still doing its great. I ran a simple test later by placing a small piece of paper against the filter to see if the sucking action was still good. And it was! It's nice to paint with no more overspray and odors. Another great feature is that it is very light and can easily be moved around using the handle on the fan.

I notice that the paint seems to pile up more in one area of the filter at the level of painting (bottom end). This can be eventually corrected and extend the life of the filter by simply turning it over and using the other end.

Now that I've had it a few days, I notice the duct tape is starting to work loose. I bought cheap tape for this project so it might be better to use a good quality tape that won't fall apart.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Frank

Thanks for the idea.

I have been researching a little on setting up my own spray booth very similar to yours and every where I find something similar online they say to only use water-based sprays as there is a high risk of explosion with any other due to the fan.

Just wondering if you have any concerns about this or if you have noticed anything?
Frankg

Reply with quote  #5 

Hi Siemensj,
   It works well for me so far. I think the big box fans are brushless so no sparks can ignite anything. Even so the filter will hold back the overspray from going through to the fan. The only thing as I mentioned before the filter gets clogged pretty fast if your doing a lot of heavy spraying, so it's good to get extra filters. I get the cheap ones for about $4. I usually keep 4 extras around so I can change over quickly. You can tell if the filter needs replacement when the air output drops considerably from the fan. So get the "feel" of the air when you put in a new filter and at that reference point you will notice a heavy drop when the filter starts getting clogged for a needed change. By the way I do not use water based spray paints. Hope this helps you in your decision. For me it is the best thing I ever did for my shop.
Good luck,

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.