Author   Comment  
gonetopilbara

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Maybe its just because I used cheap spray cans or maybe it was using Grey Primer under a light colour? Appears very patchy with sanding as recomended, 2 coats grey primer and 3 of colour so far. 

Perhaps I should have used the white undercoat. There seems to be much debate on if there is a difference between undercoat and primer. Any thoughts?

Another issue I had was sanding back took some of the paint off which are the areas you can see that look as if they were not sanded. Perhaps I sanded too hard or didn't leave enough time between coats. How long do others leave?

I also notice that it seems hard with spray cans to get in the windows and particularly under the mudguards.

Thinking about changing to an airbrush.

MDF bus pics and spray cans below.

20171209_100837.jpg

20171209_100849.jpg 
20171209_100911.jpg 
20171209_102631.jpg 

20171209_102646.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Yellow is tough to get good coverage with. Yellow needs to have white primer. White primers will give you the best color with most bright colors. 

adeafguy

Reply with quote  #3 
Never tried the brand of spray you use.  I use Rust Oleum from Home Depot.  I do prefer to not use paint, but I have.  I only make toys for my great grandsons and neighborhood kids.

Reply with quote  #4 
Agree with BadBob...the brighter colors definitely need the white primer.  Though I did get a pretty cool shade of burnt orange on one of the first Fat Fendered Freaky Fords that I painted when I used the grey primer and with orange spray.  I also agree with Bill...the brand of spray paint makes a huge difference.  I stick to Rust Oleum or Krylon.  Have had bad experiences with virtually every other brand.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm not a big rattle can painter. But when I do use it I'm a big fan of Krylon. Covers well, goes on smooth, and drys fast.

Krylon is a Sherwin Williams brad. They are a major paint company in the US.

TimeMan289

Reply with quote  #6 
Hav you tried using sanding sealer on the MDF before painting? Put sanding sealer on and than sand and it seams to paint better.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.