Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I know it probably seems like I'm wearing this topic out. But my frugal side can't get past the cheapness of Oops paint. I'm paying 45 cents for eight ounces of paint. They have paint in gallons too but I can't see me using a gallon of purple paint before it goes bad. Even if you want custom colors they are about $5 for an 8 ounce can. Home Depot will mix what ever color you like or you can buy any color in the catalog right off the Behr website and have it shipped to you or to your local store. Other places do similar things. I use Home Depot because I drive right buy the store at least once a week.  

To get on topic, I think I have this figured out. This weekend I was able to spray several toys with unthinned Behr house paint. Three different types of paint in four colors. I got one coat coverage on all of them.

All of the toys were first sealed with shellac an sanded smooth. They were made from pine and MDF. You could use the paint without sealing with shellac but I find the shellac much easier to deal with on the first coat. 

I added a bit of Flowtrol added to all of the paints to slow the drying time and let the paint flow better. Acrylics dry faster when you spray them. Flotrol helps keep the paint from drying on the tip of the air brush. It's designed to use in house paint and it can be added directly to the can of paint.

Strain your paint! I can't stress this enough. If you don't your going to get clogging and spitting as the clog blows through. This can really mess up your paint job. Worst case scenario you will need to take the airbrush apart to remove the clog and clean the brush.

The air brush you need is the Badger Anthem 155. 

Quote from Badger emphasis added:

"The Anthem, Model 155, is the most comfortable, reliable, proficient, cost effective, user friendly airbrush ever. The two angle needle tip precisely mates with the Anthem's cone shaped nozzle enabling a single needle/nozzle configuration to spray virtually any desired material, thus eliminating the need for fine, medium, or large needle/nozzle variations. The Anthem's body design provides exacting balance and long term user comfort. The Anthem also provides flawless performance in the most rigorous of production airbrushing environments."

You will to use up to 50 psi air pressure to spray the thick bodied acrylics straight from the can. I found that I needed to tweak the pressure up or down when changing paints.

Bottom line is that it works great.

More to come as I think this through.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #2 
Bob,

Don't stop posting, this is a great topic. I bought a couple of badgers on eBay but didn't get the 155 (I guess I should have). I now have a 200, 150, and a 100SG. This information is very helpful and I can't wait to get started using them on some toys.

I agree, great deals on those small containers of paint from Home Depot.

Thanks again, great information.

Russ
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastoymaker
Bob, Don't stop posting, this is a great topic. I bought a couple of badgers on eBay but didn't get the 155 (I guess I should have). I now have a 200, 150, and a 100SG. This information is very helpful and I can't wait to get started using them on some toys. I agree, great deals on those small containers of paint from Home Depot. Thanks again, great information. Russ

A Badger 200 would be a problem spraying with house paint. I have an older version of the Badger 150 and it will work with a little help and a heavy needle and tip. I'm guessing that that any of the Badgers will work if they have a heavy needle and tip would work. House paint and even craft paints have large pigments and they will quickly clog the smaller tips. 

Counting in my head I have 9 airbrushes. 3 Badger 350s one with each tip size. It just worked out that it was cheaper to buy three air brushes than to buy one with all the tips. I have a Badger 150 they I have had for many years and two Badger Anthem 155s, The others are Chinese air brushes all top loaders of various sizes.

You can make the Chinese air brushes work but you need to thin the paint. That means lots of coats of paint. My end goal is one sealer coat of shellac or some other primer. Sand off the fuzzies and pray one color coat of paint and done. I painted my recent batch of Hot Rods with them. It took several coats 4 to 6 to get good coverage. Maybe 8 coats for the orange. When you can spray it without thinning you not only get to spray the color only once and it uses a lot less paint. Think over spray. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #4 
That all makes perfect sense. I have been using spray cans but way too much overspray and expensive. I did purchase some airbrush paint thinner that I planned on using with craft paints, which I read from other users worked great. The coverage might not be that great though.

Until I read your original post some time back, I hadn't thought about an airbrush. I had one years back but it was sold or lost in a move.

Russ
AES

Reply with quote  #5 
Agree 100% with dastoymaker, BB. Keep posting, even though the products aren't available here, often similar/same products are (under different label), and the fact that you've already "travelled the road" and are prepared to post about it can only help those of us following.

Thanks for posting.

AES

Tony

Reply with quote  #6 
Bob, are you using a compressor with a tank to keep a steady pressure or a tankless compressor. The Badger Anthem 155 is about $150.00 to $200.00.

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Bob, are you using a compressor with a tank to keep a steady pressure or a tankless compressor. The Badger Anthem 155 is about $150.00 to $200.00.

I'm using a standard shop compressor with a 20 gallon tank. If you don't need the space and you don't mind the noise when its pumping up I highly recommend using something similar. Why, because you can use it for lots of other things. My air compressor is one of the most used tools I have. airbrush compressors are lightweight, portable and quieter. Air brushing is about all they are good for. Personally, I would buy one with a tank.

Prices vary widely for the Badger Anthem 155 depending on who the seller is and what is in the kit. I did  a quick ebay search and found a new one for $65  US plus shipping. I would not hesitate to buy a new one if the price was right and it looked to be OK.  Parts are easy to find and Badger will rebuild it for you for the cost of the parts.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.