Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
Recently I have been getting rid of tools that I don't use. A couple of weeks back I went through all the squares I had laying around with the idea of getting rid of anything that was not accurate. There were a couple of surprises.

All of the more expensive ones were good. As I expected.

Over the years I have collected several combination squares. Most of these were really junk and got tossed in the scrap metal bucket. The big surprise came when I pulled out a free one I got from Grizzly several years ago. It was a promotion they were running at the time. I had never use it. Not only was it square but it works pretty well.

Another one that surprised me was a Stanley try square I got out of a bargain bin at Lowes many years ago. It got used a lot over the years and got dropped on the concrete a bunch of time. After cleaning up the nicks and dings in the edges it was fine.

I have a Harbor Freight plastic speed square I use a lot as a guide to cut lumber square with a circular saw. I've used it, dropped and clamped it a lot. Yep, you guessed it square.

You need good squares. They don't have to be the most expensive but they have to be accurate and you have to use them. If buy a tool used or new you need to check it to make sure everything is aligned and square.

Here is a good place to buy some squares at at some good prices. I have two of their blemished double squares that are my favourites.

Taylor Toolworks

s-l1600.jpg

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
So i guess the take away here is that's it (wait for it) Hip to be square [tongue]

I have to honestly say I have not actually tested mine for true square... Maybe that's why i measure twice and cut 3 times and still not square.. LOL

Reply with quote  #3 
Cute.

I keep seeing posts about not being able to drill holes straight when I don't seem to have a problem. Then it dawned on me that I had carefully aligned my drill press to be square with the table.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.