Author   Comment  
Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Folks

I am a huge Star Wars fan so I made 2 of these light sabers, 1 as a gift & 1 for me.
None of this was completed on a lathe as I didn't have one at the time so it was all done on a Table saw & disc sander, the stand is double sided so it looks good from both sides.

One of my favorite design & builds IMG_0549.jpg  IMG_0550.jpg  IMG_0551.jpg  IMG_0552.jpg  IMG_0553.jpg  IMG_0554.jpg  IMG_0555.jpg  IMG_0562.jpg  IMG_0563.jpg  IMG_0570.jpg

Greg

Reply with quote  #2 
your photos did not load  i would love to see your work please try again

Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #3 
not sure why my photos are not uploading so i will try again IMG_0549.jpg  IMG_0550.jpg  IMG_0551.jpg  IMG_0552.jpg  IMG_0554.jpg  IMG_0562.jpg  IMG_0563.jpg  IMG_0570.jpg 
ctowne

Reply with quote  #4 
Very cool.  I too am a star wars fan. 
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
This is an amazingly accurate piece of woodworking. I love it!
Trav

Reply with quote  #6 
Dude, that is super cool. How much time did you put into the lightsaber? I bet those would sell for a mint.
Greg

Reply with quote  #7 
Awesome job  [love][love][love]
Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav
Dude, that is super cool. How much time did you put into the lightsaber? I bet those would sell for a mint.

Hi Trav,

I didn't really take note of the time as I was so excited about the project & it was so much fun to do, but I would guess that if I worked non stop on it, I would have knocked it over in a weekend.

I have not sold 1 yet but I am setting myself up to start production for sale.

Out of interest, what would you pay.
Trav

Reply with quote  #9 
Knowing nothing about the materials you used, and in a small market like where I live, absolutely no less than $60 CAN for the lightsaber alone but I tend to think conservatively so probably more. I constantly under price things. The Star Wars stand would be more again. Cosplayers and other fans pay a ton of cash for quality stuff like this.
How long does it measure?
Is the disc sander an effective method?
If you do another it would be great if you could do photo log for us.
Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Trav,

The materials are walnut, Maple & the gold species from Africa that I love & know nothing about it is a full size light saber hilt that is 300mm in length x 35mm diameter

The stand is cedar due to its thickness I needed a soft wood.

The disc sander is not really an effective method but its nice, just to be there, with my Bluetooth earmuffs on listening to Queen "The Game", in my own space, I opened the garage door & pulled the sander up to it, the sun was on my back, I could hear the birds chirping in the state forest nearby, as paused to watch the 2 kangaroos grazing on grass at the end of my driveway I thought, what a great day.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. oops I have gone off track.

I have just ordered a CNC for the toys I intend to sell, my own projects will always be made by hand, but to keep cost down to entice buyers I feel the CNC is a necessity as I want to make a real go at this.

Trav

Reply with quote  #11 
Hmmmmm, maybe I should get a couple of kangaroos. Might increase my productivity.
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #12 
WOW......utterly amazing, my wife & son both love Star Wars and one of these on display in our house would be perfect
Well done....
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #13 
Excellent work they look great.[thumb][thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.