Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 

Hey Team, shown below are rough idea sketches and preliminary protos for the Starfleet Peterbilt Geology Squad Wood Toy Plan Set. A shot of the final Peterbilt 3890 Tractor proto without any finishing details is shown at the very bottom of the post. I would appreciate your opinion on this concept. I will be making the protos for the trailer, dirt mover and flying swing-wing prospector craft starting tomorrow.

FYI-the large panel over the cab of the tractor is a solar collector for driving the electric motors. The tractor would also have a gas-powered backup motor-that's what pipes in the back of the cab are for.

Starfleet Peterbilt 38900 Mars Geology Squad.jpg 

The set has 4 plans: Peterbilt 3890 with rotating dore-loader cab, Carrier Trailer that doubles as a dump truck and a carrier for the Swing-Wing Terrain Explorer - and the Crater-Dozer with raise-lower dozer scoop. The Trailer has solar energy panels as does the tractor. The tractor and trailer each have 2" wheels.
A full size version of this could be launched in one of NASA's giant freighter rockets capable of delivering over 600 tons in one shipment to the moon.

Starfleet Peterbilt 38900 Mars Excavator.jpg 11-14-2018 Final prototype for Starfleet Peterbilt Ore Loader is shown below:

Scene File-003.png  Scene File-004.png  Scene File-005.png  Scene File-006.png

wmgeorge1

Reply with quote  #2 
Very Cool !!!!!  All kinds of items can be realized for the StarFleet concept.

matthewsaad

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice John. I like how the cab swivels.
craigrozema

Reply with quote  #4 
very cool, two things, the solar panel seems a bit large and looks like it could break off very easily during play, and 2 is there some sort of locking pin to keep the cab from rotating when you don't want it too?
john lewman

Reply with quote  #5 
Good points craigrozema. The solar panel seems pretty bullet-proof, especially when clamped well during the gluing process. The theory behind the large size is that a big rig will need lots of power. I think it does look a little big from a visual standpoint.

I will consider a locking mechanism. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Here are some shots of today's first proto of the Ore Mover that goes with the set.
Scene File 001.png  Scene File 002.png  Scene File 003.png 

TTT2014

Reply with quote  #6 
John,
     That Ore Mover looks AWESOME!!!
john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the feedback. This is the first proto of the Starfleet VTO Ore Drill. Also shown is the Mover and Loader. I am working on the Dumper-Transporter trailer today and hope to post shots tomorrow. 
Scene File 004A.png  

john lewman

Reply with quote  #8 
This is a shot of the Loaders and Ore Carrier final protos for the plan set. I reduced the size of the solar panels per your suggestion and it looks a lot better. Thanks.
Scene File-004.png 

john lewman

Reply with quote  #9 

This is the entire set of protos for the Starfleet Peterbilt Geology Squad plan sets. All five units will be included in the promotion later this month. Set consists of Ore Loader, Ore Mover, Ore Drill and Ore Carrier. The Carrier Trailer is also a dumper as well as a Carrier for the Ore Drill and Ore Mover. The Ore Drill is Vertical Take-Off flyer and has four thrust jets on the bottom.

Scene File-005.png

john lewman

Reply with quote  #10 
Another shot of the Starfleet Peterbilt showing the dumper carrier and final Ore Drill.
Scene File 007.png 
Scene File-006.png  Scene File-007.png 
Scene File 006.png 
Scene File 032.png 
Scene File 031 FORUM.png

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.