Author   Comment  
Bucko

Reply with quote  #1 
This Sternwheeler came from the book by Norm Marshall that BadBob recently addressed. I've been wanting to make this for 3 years now and I'm quite glad of the work and result. Most of the material used is Oak with much of it coming from some recycled oak wall board I had saved from our kitchen update. Those that know the plan may notice that I made portholes instead of the Rectangle shaped windows.  The underside has a Ballast section of which I used Cypress which taught me to avoid again as it clogs up with sanding debris so easily. The Wheel is some misc. Buckeye I had with Maple cut slats of which I succeeded in cutting thin on the bandsaw. I used 3 coats of Amber Sheelac for the finish which darkened up the wood but made   paddleboat2_opt.jpg  paddleboat3_opt.jpg  a nice Nostalgic look for the craft. I didn't take any build photo's but this summer is my summer of boat building and I'm taking on 3 Pirate Ships from the ToymakingPlans site. Enjoy my build--
ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
This is beautiful.   Great design.  it will make a great addition to your boating summer.  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Norm's designs are all-time classics and this is a fine example of his sensitivity and creative talent. Thanks for sharing!
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Bucko
Great looking build.
Can't wait to see the pirate ships also.
Thanks for posting.
dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #5 
That is very nice, you do some great work! Hope to be there some day.

Russ
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #6 
good looking boat.

Thanks for sharing, will be looking for your other boats as you launch them over the summer

Reply with quote  #7 
I have often wondered what the paddle wheeler would look like with round wheels. A great looking boat.

Since you use shellac for your finish I'm guessing there isn't any chance of this winding up in a bathtub.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
A big "Thanks" for the replies. A note on BadBob's mention of the water use, not on this one but the description of the boat in the book talks of the boat in water and the swelling of the paddles from that use. The Wheel does turn freely with about 1/8" clearance between the paddles and deck and who can't help but smile on motion from an item [smile]
Camnight

Reply with quote  #9 
Look great Bucko thanks for posting.

George
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #10 
Love it, good work.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
gazz

Reply with quote  #11 
Nice boat I do like the old fashioned boats like these, the only Norm I've heard of here in England is Norm Abrams. enjoyed the new Yankee workshop, the toy maker we have is Richard Blizzard he had a program on TV and wrote some books with some great wooden toys.

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks once again for the replies, I agree on liking the old fashioned boats also and living in a small town along the Ohio River I'm lucky there's a Sternwheeler Festival yearly only 40 miles away at Wheeling West Virginia to enjoy. Here's another picture I took before the finish and at a slightly better angle. paddle.JPG    

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.