Author   Comment  
BearsDad

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,
Im not sure if this it the correct place to ask but here goes.....
Some of you may remember I posted a pic of the painted rocking horse I made (I had quite a few lovely, kind comments by the way,  so thank you all!!)
Whilst I was making it I happened to be walking through my local hobbycraft one day and saw a packet of "Googly eyes" and once glued into place seem to add a little to the overall expression of the piece in my opinion.
My wife and daughter put the pic of the finished piece on social media and I was surprised at the response and the orders that followed!
So back to the somewhat misleading title....... Although the "googly eyes" are very firmly glued into position I'm still very aware and concerned about a potential choking hazard so I've been looking for a self adhesive, sticker (one dimensional) alternative. Having looked on line all I can find is assorted sizes on a roll, meaning I'm likely to have more left over of sizes I don't want to use.
ideally I'm looking for a roll of 3/4" (19mm) stickers.....any ideas?
Cheers
Chris
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi BearsDad,

What you could do is search for cartoon eyes in Google Image and find something you like and print the eyes on your computer printer. Depending on the size you find you may need to play with scaling them up or down in your printer settings until you get the size you're looking for. 

You can apply the eyes using 3M 77 Spray Adhesive (easily found at Walmart or local hardware stores). Then apply a coat of clear polyurethane over the eyes, preferably over the entire rocking horse.

Cynthia
BearsDad

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Cynthia
Thanks for your reply..... That's a very good idea... so much so I started looking straight away, but then had a thought.....a quick search on ebay and I found glossy self adhesive sticker paper suitable to use with my inkjet printer.... I ordered 10 sheets for £2.69 inc postage!! Seemed too cheap not to give it a go!!
Chris
Wombat

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi BearsDad

You can still use the original "googly" eyes ( I assume they are the clear plastic ones with a loose black "pupil" inside, with a self adhesive base?) without much risk of small parts coming loose.
 I use 6mm dia ones on a small pull along, and like you was afraid of their impermanency.

I counterbore a flat-bottomed hole about 1.5mm larger in diameter, and about 1mm deeper than the eye.
I then stick the eye into the bottom of the hole and back-fill the hole with water clear epoxy.
When set, the googly eye is encapsulated into the wood surface, cannot be picked off or have it's top layer broken to get at the still loose little black bit.

Just my two-cents worth.

Alan
BearsDad

Reply with quote  #5 
Alan....I like that idea as it retains the pupil movement..... I'll have to look into where I can get the clear epoxy.....cheers for the tip
Chris

***update*** ebay !!!
AES

Reply with quote  #6 
+1 for Wombat's idea. Like him I found some "googly eyes" in my local DIY Emporium and was also worried about them falling off a kiddies pull along. So I did exactly the same with a suitably-sized counter bore but covered the lot with a couple of coats of 2 part polyurethane. That worked fine, but if I'd have thought of transparent casting epoxy  I'd have used that instead - the clear polyurethane does have a slightly yellowing effect.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
West Systems Epoxy recommended. They have epoxy for just about anything you ever want to do and support as well.

They have a free magazine if your interested in seeing things people do with epoxy. It is mostly marine-oriented, but much of the techniques apply to other things. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.