Author   Comment  
Keoman34

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, I am making the Super Mack 4 Truck Fleet and am currently making the Lowboy Trailer. I am concerned about drilling the rear axles accurately. The trailer bed is too big to fit under my drill press. Any suggestions for doing this?
Ccwilson

Reply with quote  #2 
I agree with the question. I’ve been pushing it off. I thought maybe for the trailer I might go with axle pegs??
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
I've seen a couple of simple jigs, made from a block of wood, to guide a hand-held drill and ensure a vertical drill. The thought just occurred to me that you could drill a suitable sized hole in a scrap piece of hardwood and clamp that to the trailer bed as a drill guide. Once the hole is started, it should be easier to keep the drill vertical.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for your thoughts, I have drilled partial holes to take axle pegs. To ensure true horizontal I taped a small spirit level to the top of my drill and just kept the bubble in the middle. All appears to be square anyway. I'll post some pics when completed. I have found perfect axles for our toys. In the uk we have ice lollies with round sticks they average approx 6mm (1/4") in diameter x 19mm (7 3/4") in length.
ddilucchio

Reply with quote  #5 
I only have an 8” drill press and ran into an issue of not being able to fit the Foodie Truck under my drill press. I’m not sure if this is the same issue your having, I made a little base to clamp onto my drill press table so I can fit larger item to drill under it, it’s not pretty but it works. Hope thie pics help?

-Chad

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 6CA06F4E-7FDE-4023-AFC7-464C8317BBB7.jpeg, Views: 64, Size: 2.71 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 0FB48E87-40C7-4C85-8C39-0482733EEFEC.jpeg, Views: 61, Size: 2.87 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: AF66200E-AD65-4B88-AE8B-BE111455CF56.jpeg, Views: 57, Size: 2.94 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 76BFFC2C-B434-438C-81CC-4B4D0B721561.jpeg, Views: 56, Size: 2.87 MB 

Keoman34

Reply with quote  #6 
Chad thanks for your input and pics, what an excellent idea. I sometimes think we forget how versatile our machines and tools are.
Luther P

Reply with quote  #7 
I just downloaded the plan. Its going on my list of things to make.
Keith Harrison

Reply with quote  #8 
I to have the same problem. Having failed twice to align the holes in the for the tail gate, I have resorted to making it in three pieces and using pins to hold it together. This also means that I can have two short pins to attach it to the main trailer bed. (Sorry about the colour of the wood I only use recycled timber and I still need to remove the old varnish).

20180513_201656.jpg  20180513_201849.jpg 

Instead of drilling through the bed I intend to rout a 10mm slot in a block of wood and fit it under the bed for the axle to run in. If you do not have a router table you could do the same with multiple cuts from a table saw.
I appreciate this will raise the bed, so I will need to reduce the height of the upright section (Piece 6) and may need to modify the mud guards, but I do not find this a problem as I usually have to change the designs slightly to accommodate the wood I have.

dmjones

Reply with quote  #9 
I am also building these trucks and ran into the same problem. I like ddiluccio idea. I can see that working for a whole host of projects. He just saved me $400.00 yah!
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #10 
Chad-

I sure like your drilling jig, I think I'll make me one.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.