You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Woodcutter

Reply with quote  #1 
A gentleman had posted once on here that he used double sided tape for holding patterns on wood when making wooden toys from toy making plans would like some feed back I use spray on glue hard to clean off thanks
AJ

Reply with quote  #2 
I find carpet layers Double sided tape very good, I have tried cheaper tape but find the one used by carpet  layers very good.
AJ
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
I use standard 2" onesided packing tape covering the pattern surface of the wood. I then use spray adhesive on the back of the paper pattern and then adhere the pattern to the clear packing tape. The tape acts as a lubricant for the blade and when the cut is finished the pattern and the tape come off easily with no residue left on the wood. I love this method.
craigrozema

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
I use standard 2" onesided packing tape covering the pattern surface of the wood. I then use spray adhesive on the back of the paper pattern and then adhere the pattern to the clear packing tape. The tape acts as a lubricant for the blade and when the cut is finished the pattern and the tape come off easily with no residue left on the wood. I love this method.

seconded. ive done just repositionable spray adhesive straight to wood but that still is fussy sometimes. blue tape all the way
Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
I use glue sticks. Most times I will use 2” painters to cover the wood as it does lubricate and makes for easy removal of the pattern. I find the glue stick to be a lot less hassle then the spray glue.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman

Yep, that is exactly what I do except I use 2" blue painters tape. Best method. [thumb]

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Tony, glue sticks sound like a great idea. Could you post what the brand is, where you can buy them and maybe upload a photo of one? Thanks, John
gem

Reply with quote  #8 
I use Elmers Prepositional glue stick to adhere the back of the pattern to the wood and then cover with packing tape - or - you can use Scroll Saw Tape. it is available at http://www.scrolleronline.com/product/Scroll_Saw_Tape/823

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
Now that is a great solution. I didn't know this even existed! Thanks loads.
craigrozema

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem
I use Elmers Prepositional glue stick to adhere the back of the pattern to the wood and then cover with packing tape - or - you can use Scroll Saw Tape. it is available at http://www.scrolleronline.com/product/Scroll_Saw_Tape/823

that tape a piqued my interest ordered a 5' roll to try it out. thanks
Rod T

Reply with quote  #11 
I use packing tape and then print the patterns onto self adhesive laser labels and stick these onto the tape.

After cutting the whole lot just peels off.
I tried sticking the laser labels strait to the wood, but these are harder to remove.

Cheapest packing tape works best as it doesn't stick "too well" easy to get off.

I tried a thicker more expensive 3M tape once and this stuck so well it started to pull some of the timber fibres off when I peeled it off. Good tape, but not for this purpose.

I also find that if I tape the wood and leave it over night before cutting and peeling off, it is harder to peel off.
It has to be applied, cut and peeled off quickly. 

Cheers
Rod T

Woodcutter

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks to all for the advice using tape or glue will have to try them all to see what works best for me thanks again
BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
I use 3m ScotchBlue Painters Tape. Yep, Just like Rod T says it sticks tight. I used to use a cheap knock-off tape that didn't hold so tight. I can't find it anymore around here. When I first started using the cheap blue tape, I had to use a roller on it to get it to stay in place. Out of habit, I rolled the 3M tape. Not a good idea. It pulled chunks out of the pine when I remover it. I learned that you need to rub it lightly to get the bubbles out, and that is it. The adhesive on the 3M tape is pressure sensitive the harder you press, the tighter it sticks. I spent $80 US on tape last year.

Patrick Speilman talks about using tape for lubrication of the saw blade in one of his books. According to him, the manufacturers put silicon in or on the top of the tape to keep the layers from sticking together. I don't use tape for its lubricating properties. I use tape so I can get the pattern off with as little drama as possible.
3m Scotch Blue Painters Tape.jpg 
I cover the top wood entirely with the tape neat and trimmed. I don't want any tape hanging or sticking on anything while I'm cutting. I attach the pattern to the tape with 3M Super 77 Spray adhesive. It only takes a tiny bit, and you better be sure of where you are going to put the pattern because you are not going to move it. This stuff sticks tight even the edges. I have never had it come loose while I was cutting. I started out using rubber cement many years ago and tried just about everything all of them come loose but this one.  For me, not coming loose while I am cutting trumps everything else. A can lasts me a long time. I remove the nozzle from my spray adhesive and store it in a jar in mineral spirits. I always start with a clean, unclogged nozzle. Steve Good Recommends 3M 45 General Purpose Adhesive. I haven't tried it. It is cheaper.

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive.jpg 
I use double-sided carpet tape to hold wood together for stack cutting. I don't know what brand it is. I wish I did. This roll of tape must be 30 years old, and it still works great. I use four tiny 1/4-inch square pieces, one in each corner. After everything is in place, I squeeze each section where the is tape in my vise. Remember pressure sensitive, the harder you squeeze, the tighter it sticks. I have never had one come apart. I've had it stuck in the wrong place before; you don't want to do that. It is challenging to get it off.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

craigrozema

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem

So I got my shipment today of the tape and tried it out here’s a video of me cutting with it and peeling it off at the end. Ignore the sloppiness I was one handed

Also used it to mock up the grill on the super Mack’s for glueing. Seemed to work ok will find out when the glue dries

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 3D10A8E4-105C-417E-891F-7E74766BDAD3.jpeg, Views: 8, Size: 275.04 KB 

craigrozema

Reply with quote  #15 
The glued transfer

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 10, Size: 346.50 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us