You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Djtjak

Reply with quote  #16 
I had been using Elmers school glue stick, it was very hard to get the pattern off after it had been cut out.Today I tried The Elmers glue on the pattern , then put packing tape on the wood and put the pattern on that and it worked great!

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi Craigrozema
What is the reason for using a glue stick on the wood/pattern then covering it with packing tape
I usually use painters tape on the wood, then glue stick on the back of the pattern only, works well for me.
Cheers Andy
BadBob

Reply with quote  #18 
Before I used painters tape and 3M adhesives, I would glue the pattern to the wood and cover it with packing tape. My primary reason for the packing tape was to hold the edges of the pattern down. Glue sticks never worked for me.

I stopped gluing directly to the wood because cleaning the residue from the glue was a problem. Painters tape doesn't leave a residue and it is fast. 

If you glue directly to the wood and have problems removig the pattern, brush on enough solvent to soak the the paper. Let it sit for a minute or so and it should come right off.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #19 
I've always used re-positional spray adhesive on back of pattern then 2 inch sellotape on top always done me proud.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
BadBob

Reply with quote  #20 
I have never liked clear packing tape. The shinney surface creates to much glare, and I can't always position my lights where I can see the lines well. Putting the pattern on top helps a lot.

When I first started, you had to create a pattern from an undersized drawing in a book. If you wanted to make more than one, I would use the pattern to make a template from hardboard, Formica, or thick paper. I would trace the template on to the wood with a pencil. I would cut outside on my patio if the weather cooperated so I could see the lines better. Owning a scanner changed all that.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Justgoober72

Reply with quote  #21 
Thank you for your responses gentlemen.
I have found that if I cut the pattern about 3 to 5mm larger than the original, then using a glue stick on the back of the pattern and place it on painters tape then rub down the edges they don’t lift
Cheers ANDY
jmattsson

Reply with quote  #22 
I bought and tried the Scroll Saw tape mentioned in this string and found it to be not worth the trouble.  The tape is quite thin and, I found it does not stick as well to the wood as other products (blue or clear tape). While I was cutting around the pattern, I found the scroll saw tape lifted away from the wood and when I tried to smooth out the tape and the pattern, the tape often rolled up and was, in the end, unusable.  I tried cutting out the pattern to a rough size and adhering the paper pattern to the scroll saw tape, then cutting out the paper pattern from around the scroll saw tape, and then putting it on the wood.  This didn't work any better than putting the tape down first.  Also, if you put the scroll saw tape on a large piece of wood, then put your pattern on the scroll saw tape, when you start cutting out your pattern, the saw dust sticks to the double-sided scroll saw tape.  My last attempt with the scroll saw tape was to put clear tape over the paper pattern and the scroll saw tape, which worked, but really did not save me any time or money.
I tried John's method of using just putting clear tape on the wood and then spraying the back of your paper pattern which adheres to the clear tape.  I liked this method the best as it saved me the step and expense of the blue tape underlayment.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #23 
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I use clear packing tape also and it works super.free
BadBob

Reply with quote  #24 
Thanks jmattsson for doing this experiment. If I had the time I probably would have given it a try.

I did a bit of tape shopping and found the clear packing tape is a lot cheaper than the blue tape but only if you buy the cheap thin brands. I need the good stuff because I ship a lot of packages. I only buy the scotch heavy duty packing tape that is 3.1 mils thick and sticks to the boxes well. Blue tape costs me only $1 less than packing tape depending on discounts. For a dollar a roll I'm not going to switch. I need the blue tape for other things and must keep both kinds of tape around.  Amazon has the cheap packing tape $0.84 a roll in bulk on Amazon. However, I don't have room to store yet another batch of tape. Besides 3m Scotch tape works great for me.  #m products always have.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us