Author   Comment  
don2352

Reply with quote  #1 
Playful baby teethers from Toymaking plans.com. These are made from maple and I wet sanded these until they are smooth as silk. No assembly or paint- how easy is that[smile]

Playful Baby Teether Ornaments

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: duck.jpg, Views: 42, Size: 14.85 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: Elephant.jpg, Views: 39, Size: 15.00 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: Giraffe.jpg, Views: 31, Size: 11.38 KB 

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
don2352: I looked at the larger photos and they look really good. Is there any finish on them?
don2352

Reply with quote  #3 
No. Just a series of wet sanding from 80 grit to 240 to 400.
Don
Don - thanks Don, that's a great technique - Udie
Smiling Daisy Crafts

Reply with quote  #4 
Don,
I bought the pattern to make the teethers for my niece who had twin boys in December.  I am really new to working with wood.  I bought the maple to use but was thinking of first cutting some out for ornaments for practice using my scroll saw before cutting out the maple.  I was wondering what is the best method for sanding especially the centers.  I have never heard of wet sanding.  What is wet sanding? Do you buy a special kind of sand paper for wet sanding?
Thanks,
Suzanne
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #5 
The method of wet sanding is by using wet sand paper it can be bought in most hardware stores or a store that sell automotive repair products. These sand papers are made to be used wet and on bondo or nearly finished auto finishes before the finish coat of paint is applied. I had never heard of it being used on wood but if it is used wet I would think that it would be a good grain raiser so your finish would be like Don said super smooth. Is there one grit you start out with and do you only take it to 400 or do you go even further like 800 or 1000 grit? - Don
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.