Author   Comment  
GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #1 
the dremel moto saw can remplace scroll saw for new toymaker?
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi GentleGiant
   I just looked at the video about the Dremel Moto Saw, and I can't see why it would not work for toys.
   You might be a little limited by the size of the saw, but it should work OK.
It does look like they have their own blades, so that could be interesting as well.
   I, for one, would like to see what you can do with this saw.
Hopefully one of the members here has one and can give you a better answer.

GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank You Kenneth. I buy a couple of your beautiful Plans . I start my retreat this summer. and i will made some toys .
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
It sure looks like an interesting tool and I'd sure be interested in knowing how it performs.
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
GentleGiant - Thanks for joining the Forum - good to hear from you.
   I too took a look at the Model MS20. Looks like an interesting tool but I thought I might talk about some of it's features.
   The prices I saw on line ranged from $90 to $160 ... pretty close to a better than entry level scroll saw.
I thought the throat plate being only 9.84 inches deep might limit you in what you can cut ... but I see you can buy a side cutting blade that turns the cutting teeth 90° to the throat allowing for longer cuts. 
   A replacement blade pack of 4 looks likes it costs around $9 per pack, that's pretty pricy when compared to scroll saw blades and the variety that are available. They are all pinned blades and the manual says you will require a 1/4" hole if you intend to do inside cuts. Looking at the manual chart for the blade types, it looks like 3/4" is the maximum recommended thickness this saw and blade pack will be comfortable cutting. The standard blades are 15 teeth per inch (TPI), Finish blade is 18.5 TPI and the metal blade is 25 TPI and all of the blades are 0.025" thick.
   Replacing the blade looks really simple with auto tensioning and variable speed are a plus. Blade stroke is 0.31 inches and blade length is 3.8 inches long.
   The project pdf shows a lot of interesting things you can do with the saw, but please note the thickness of all the materials shown to be cut, very thin.
  So, my friend it's your call. I would recommend taking a look at some scroll saws, it's features, capability, noise levels and things like that and of course your out the door cost to purchase. 
   Hope some of this helps.

GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #6 
I can buy a mastercraft Maximum 16 inch 55-6703-02 Refurbish for 99$ca but is it normal when is on the noise off the mechanism TOCK  when the saw reach down a big noise ? i have the user guide in PDF if it's important .                                                                         Thank You GentleGiant
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
GentleGiant - I just did an internet search on that model as well as a search on reviews.
The reviews seem to bounce all over the place.
   Not sure what you mean when you were describing the noise and the TOCK. If you are describing that it sounds like something is hitting something else when turned on, that just might not be a good thing.
   The biggest complaint in the reviews is that literature says it's variable speed but really it is only one speed, 1700rpm. Another common complaint was that, again, literature says it accepts both pinned and pinless blades - which they are saying it does not. So there are a few things you will have to check up on up close before buying - I do not know if what they are saying is true.
   Now, everywhere I went this saw was identified as a discontinued product which may mean that support for replacement parts may no longer available. That happens a lot with Mastercraft tools and I have experienced that problem myself. Because of the life time guarantee I have returned some Mastercraft products in their warranty period and they did replace it with stock available and with another model. Some times it works in my favour and other times causes a lot of problems because of where I was using the tool and the set-up and jigs I made for the original.
   I will suggest this to you, take a look at the Porter Cable 16" Scroll Saw available at Lowes. It is variable speed, accepts pinned and pinless blades and has all the features as the Mastercraft. Price is range is from $129 to $199. Again, one of the first things I would recommend you to do is go to the web site of any tool you are thinking to purchase and look to see if you can buy replacement parts as well as accessories. By doing that you will save a lot of grief in the future when you need parts.
  These go on sale all the time, a good time to look for tools is around Father's Day and Christmas.
There are many suppliers of scroll saws and some prices are economically priced making it affordable and other are just outrageous.
   Another source for tools is Kijiji and Craig's list, there are lots of good deals to found there but you really have to know a little more about the tool before you purchase.
Sometimes saving your pennies for something else and possibly a little better is worth considering.

GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank You for your help it is realy appreciate :-)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.