Author   Comment  
osman123

Reply with quote  #1 
As you be able to see the cab is loosely based on Udie's free plan of a Mercedes truck, the rest of it is pretty well scratchbuilt with the exception on the crane gantry which is adapted and resized from a plan found elsewhere.

With the exception on the exhaust stacks most of the toy is made from various different hardwood offcuts I had lying around these included oak, teak, mahogany, American red oak and a few other exotic species. In addition to the crane, there are outriggers so the crane can be used at 45 degrees to either side of the body, there is a working winch built into the bottom of the cab. The headlights and mirrors are made from an old CD to simulate glass. The circular amber and red lamps are made using shaped slithers of pine dowel and then coloured using food dyes.

The hardest part of the build was the towing lift at the rear, this was made using tenon joints and then pegged for added strength, it was also designed so when in use it would turn with the towed model. As you might also be able to see when this lift is at the vertical the cradle sits at the horizontal, took me an age to get this just right. The badge on the front of the cab was a bit of a swine to get right and was cut from a single piece of mahogany just over an inch in diameter using a scrollsaw and all the correct angles of the mercedes star then carefully shaped using needle files. Took me two attempts to get it just right though. It all finished off using Danish Oil rather than varnish, I much prefer the satin effect and it really brings out the beauty of the wood IMHO.

It's going to be an heirloom present for my Grandson's 5th birthday in a fortnight, it was what he wanted?.....Makes a change from the more usual electronic rubbish kids usually want I guess!

Feel free to copy or ask questions if you wish, but please don't ask for detailed plans because it was pretty much scratched built on the fly, with the exception of Udie's cab. I'll post plenty of images which should help if you fancy a crack, build time in total was about 100-120 hours in total I reckon.

Enjoy.....Ade

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: P1011001.jpg, Views: 159, Size: 100.23 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011005.jpg, Views: 159, Size: 119.18 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011006.jpg, Views: 139, Size: 103.20 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011008.jpg, Views: 135, Size: 107.71 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011009.jpg, Views: 125, Size: 125.78 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011010.jpg, Views: 115, Size: 116.95 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011011.jpg, Views: 129, Size: 142.44 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011015.jpg, Views: 131, Size: 152.28 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011017.jpg, Views: 130, Size: 126.24 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: P1011019.jpg, Views: 105, Size: 84.58 KB 

TommyT

Reply with quote  #2 
Outstanding job!!!!!!  This will surely be a treasure for him!!!!!!!!

Reply with quote  #3 
osman123 - I'll repeat what TommyT said "Outstanding" 
It's just mind boggling what you created [crazy] .
Wood selection, build and finish are excellent. All your little extras like the wheel lifting cradle, wheel stops, brass control panel, tool box as well as the Mercedes front emblem are just fantastic.
This for sure will be an heirloom.
I hope you signed and dated it someplace.
This made my day, thanks for posting.
osman123

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks guys, yes Udie I'm having a brass plate engraved up to screw under the chassis. That Mercedes badge was a real pig, but I knew with care I could do it. The wife put it up pictures of it on Facebook tonight, I've a feeling I may get a few commissions by the looks of things. We'll see... Thanks again guys....

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi osman123
   I have look over your photos above several times, and am just in awe of what you have done with this truck.
The detail is just outstanding.
Very few finished projects look this good in the close-up photos.  
Every part of this toy is sanded and finished so smooth, it is just awesome.  
   I also like the way you were able to use and combine the metal parts into this rig.
This tow truck is so far above a normal toy, it is just amazing.
Thanks for sharing, and you have really set the bar higher for the rest of us.
I can not wait to see what else you come up with.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes , I  enjoyed looking at the photos .......a good use of ingenuity  .....I love the wood and colour ,..a Great  job , your grandchild will be proud to own this . Douglas
ctowne

Reply with quote  #7 
All I can say is WOW!!! a great model.  Love the natural wood choices and details.
Cindy
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #8 
Very very very impressive!  Thanks for sharing with us!!

Reply with quote  #9 
Osman123,
   Wow, this is great!! I have tried something similar and will post it. However, yours is far more detailed than mine and it also appears that your gear and ratchet assemblies work better than mine. I also battled with some of the  parts, especially to get them to function properly. The hoist cradle took about 3 tries to get it more or less right.
A question : Does the gear behind the right front wheel lift the beam up and down? 
I like the outriggers and the fact that the crane cane rotate - I never thought of that option.
Well done!
Dolf
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #10 
What a wonderful build! The craftmanship is outstanding! Welcome to our little corner of loose nuts and bolts. I can't wait to see what you build next.
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you for your kind comment Dolf, in reply to your question....Does the gear behind the right front wheel lift the beam up and down?
No, this operates the winch built into the front bumper. the gear to lift the beam up and down is on one side of the gantry, with the gear on the other side operating the hoist.

Regards

Reply with quote  #12 
Awesome Job!!!!!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.