Author   Comment  
Douglas

Reply with quote  #1 
I thought that you might like these . They took me 2 weeks to make ,build and paint . I am quite pleased with these . They are 100% pine wood , painted with acrylic , finished with Cynthias Paste . Box Trailers are in progress . Post them later . S1490003.JPG  S1490001.JPG
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow Douglas
   These are really nice.  Everything looks to fix perfectly, and I like the colors you used.
Making the orange fuel tank on the blue truck really makes them stand.
I also like the detail of the silver painted parts.
   Good Job
Now what do you do with them?  Do they go as family gifts or do you sell them through craft shows or on-line somewhere?
Thanks for sharing, and you were right, we do like them.

Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Douglas - What a nice fleet of Peterbilts. Two weeks to build, I'm impressed and jealous.
So, during the build did you have to come up with any special jigs or tips for us on assembly.
Sure would like to hear about them if you did.
Douglas

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Ken, Udie , I thought you would like them  . Did I come up with any tips or tricks ? ... No not really ..... I used your tips Udie on the build ,from your forum post . They were very useful and made life easier . I made the fenders and fuel tanks and trailer couplings on the lathe ..that was easy . The exhausts were just dowels . I had a problem with the veneers that I made for the windows and doors . When I applied wood glue to them to stick them onto the cab ,they distorted and curled , so I used CA glue (superglue ) and stuck them straight on hoping to hit the right spot first time ,because you don't get a second chance with that glue .  I discovered that if you just drop the piece on with absolutely no pressure whatsoever, you do get a chance to make final adjustments to get it in the right place .....then once downward pressure is applied ...that is it ...no going back . .......I was lucky .      Ken you asked what do I do with them now ?    I will send them to you ,to put in your shop ....how about that ?    No seriously ...my wife does the odd craft fair for me  ,and she has just located a shop in a nearby town that will display for sale for me . She a good lass , She doesn't get involved in the production ...she has no interest ....... She is my sales manager  [wink]     Thanks for your positive comments ...if you have any advice on glueing veniers /thin wood I would appreciate it .  Regards Douglas
Camnight

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Douglas
They look great and done over two week you done well. I would like to do more but still work full time,
at the moment. You should be happy with that lot, George
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #6 
Great job Douglas!  I would like to build the Peterbilt at some point.  I think kids would enjoy playing with it.

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks George , Paul ... I am retired ,and my wife still works ..so I have the time to build the more complicated toys . Thanks for your comments Douglas
joepeto

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Douglas,

Very good job. I've liked especially the selection of colors you used. Congratulations, Joepeto
ctowne

Reply with quote  #9 
Douglas -
These are very nice.  I like the colors and thanks for the tip on the CA glue.  I don't use it often because it is unforgiving.   I also like how some of the finish is flat and the other glossy. 
Douglas

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Joepeto and Cindy , thanks for the positive feedback .   I thought that you would like them Cindy . You do some great work yourself .  Regards Douglas
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #11 
Very nice, would love to make these, but it's been cold in Colorado lately. We are expecting more snow tomorrow. I can't wait till spring, then I plan on working as many hours as my back will let me in my reorganized shop.

Steve Currier
Douglas

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Steve ,these Peterbilts are handpainted with acrylic craft paint ,and finished with Cynthias Paste . You should still be able to make them now .  I used foam sponge brushes ,so you get a nice flat finish with no brush marks . I would have thought the cold weather just restricted you spray painting .  Douglas
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #13 
Douglas, when it is below 40 F, it is a little hard to feel what you are doing and I like having all my fingers and thumbs. But I do use spray lacquer as final top coat, so it needs to be above 50 F before I can use it. I have tried the brush on Craft varnish, but I still have not figured out how not to get brush or sponge marks. I am going to try thinning it with water and adding more coats for a smoother finish.
Steve Currier
Douglas

Reply with quote  #14 
Brrr ! That is cold Steve . .. I have got a blower heater in my workshop . so I am always nice and warm .  Douglas
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #15 
Spring is right on our doorstep! One option for gluing painted parts is two part epoxy, you have about five minutes to get it right, then the bond is set.
Jeremy

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.