Author   Comment  
sbhoward

Reply with quote  #1 
Just starting building and I have a question for those of you with much more experience.

I'm building the Big John Farm tractor, and I notice there are some 1/4" and 1/8" parts.

If you are building a natural wood project, what do most of you do?   Try plywood, or resaw your own stock?  If it's painted, will plywood detract from what is mostly a hardwood project?

Thanks
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #2 
I have just finished THIS model and some of the wood is as thin as 1/16" which I re-sawn and then planed to thickness, With an unpainted toy/model I would go for re-sawn wood but if painted then ply would be great as it will be covered with the paint and will not notice.
If in doubt then you could cut a piece of ply and do a test fit to see if it distracts from the model/toy if left unpainted. It really is down to personal choice.

Reply with quote  #3 
Derek -  Thanks for the tips.  Sorry I took so long to thank you but I was traveling.   I woould love to see a photo of your tractor sometime  if you're up to it.

Thanks!

Steve
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #4 
Some of the hobby stores will sell 1/16 and 1/8 wood blanks too.  Alot of what I have found is basswood, which is soft, but it has worked pretty well in the toys that I have used it in.  You can also re-saw and plane to thickness if you have a planer.  My planer won't handle anything smaller than 1/8, so I use double-sided tape to adhere the board that I want to be thinner to a "carrier" board so I can get it to the 1/16 thickness. Just have to be REALLY careful when you separate the keeper from the carrier since it will break.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
My local home depot has a lot of small thin poplar and oak 

eBay is another source. There are some good deals there.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

rdredge

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi!  I get any thin wood I need from ocoochhardwoods.com.  Have many choices and sizes.  Have always been very pleased with quality.

Rose
Tony

Reply with quote  #7 
If I need thin wood (1/8" or 1/16") I rip it on my table saw. I have a thin kerf 7 1/4" blade as these are cheap and have a very thin kerf. I also made a zero clearance plate for the saw. I select the material I wish to cut and make sure the face is sanded and ready to use then set my saw up to 1/16" and using a push block send it through. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_3937.JPG, Views: 21, Size: 475.39 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_3938.JPG, Views: 23, Size: 508.45 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_3939.JPG, Views: 19, Size: 453.84 KB 

Mikestoys

Reply with quote  #8 
Since there is not a lot of places with thin lumber where I live I usually get thin lumber from this place:

http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php

They have deals on cut offs as well.

Reply with quote  #9 
if you are cutting thin / small pieces have a look at this 

it has been posted here before and 
its worth a look

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.